Premed 101 Forums

West Edmonton, nice area?

Guest moo

Guest moo

I'm moving in a month or so to begin residency. I was wondering if West Edmonton is a nice area to live in. I definitely do not want to live near the University or anywhere near downtown. I'm looking for a quiet neighborhood. Is the fact that the mall is there gonna make for bad commutes?

Guest muchdutch

There are nice pockets on the west end of edmonton, you just have to know where to find them. Mostly, the farther out you go from the city centre, the better the neighborhood (huzzah urban sprawl and bad transit systems!). lewis estates is nice, so is parkland, the hamptons, wedgewood. Cameron heights is so far away from anything that it has to be nice but it's super pricey. Are you doing your residency at the Mis or at the U of A? If you're at the U of A then go south for sure - no bridge crossing traffic in the morning.

I'm partial to the south side myself. Same rules apply - the farther out you go, the better the neighborhood. But there are some that are a little older, established neighborhoods that are nice such as bearspaw, twin brooks, riverbend, whitemud creek. Like I said, these are a bit older, but seem like nice neighborhoods. Stay west of Calgary Trail if you are looking on the southside, however.

Hope it works out for you!

ps- the mall won't really affect your commute unless you live right next to it, and even then the rush for the mall is usually saturdays in the afternoon.

Guest moo

I'll be based out of the Mis but I think I'll be all over town for my rotations. There's this one place right next to the Mis on 165th St that seems too perfect for me, free gym, parking, huge place, only 725/mo. It's called Cambridge place.

Are there any areas I should AVOID?

Guest mg83

Edmonton is a pretty safe city....the only "bad" areas are the north end and millwoods in the SE but i lived in Millwoods for like 10 years and i never got shot or mugged. West end is nice, close to a lot of stuff and there is good public transport out of there. I personally think that living near Southgate is probably the best. Its less than a 10min drive to University....5 if you like to speed....and about 10-15 minutes from West Edmonton Mall...depending of the freeway. i wouldn't worry too much about safety in the West End...you'll be fine

Guest muchdutch

Ya, definietly stay away from Millwoods - that's where most of the drive-by's and murders happen (there and the north end, I suppose).

Around southgate is a great area. It is close enough to the University so it's not too far, and you can hop on the whitemud and get to the mis in a relatively decent timeframe - probably 10-15 assuming it's not rush hour and you're going the speed limit. :b

mg83 - the wenst end has good transit? I was under the impression that the entire city was cr@p for transit in general!

Guest moo

Is Millwoods where the Grey Nuns Hospital is?

I'm guessing transit is pretty bad... they definitely recommend that we have a car in the city, especially in the winter.

Guest summervirus

Yup, the Grey Nuns is smack dab in the middle of Millwoods. I think that a car is essential. I tried to get through clerkship without one and I don't think it's possible to commute by public transit to all the hospitals in a timely manner.

Guest summervirus

Hi, I actually *just* finished my last day of medical school on Wednesday. :) YAY! I'm starting Internal Medicine in July.

Guest mg83

hehe...well the whole city sucks for public transport in general but the west end is slightly less sucky than most transport areas. A car is probably the best idea. Good luck! I actually work at the Grey Nuns on the medicine wards.....so be nice to the unit clerks! You'll like doing your Medicine rotation here. Its a great place for IM and the docs (most of them anyway) are fantastic.

Guest DoNair

Stop badmouthing Mill Woods. So there were a few drive-by shootings and bloody murders. Big deal. Isn't every neighbourhood like that? :b

It's actually not that bad. In fact where I live, I am probably the baddest mofo on the block. (And thats only because all my neighbours are retired empty nesters.)

You can find decent housing but you will need a car to get to the Mis. Travelling from Millwoods to the U of A is not that bad by car (10-20 mins depending on traffic) and can be done by bus too but it is only tolerable during peak hours.

Guest moo

Well I've put down my deposit for this place called Cambridge west, which is literally across the street from the Mis. Kinda of a gamble considering I'm not going to be in Edmonton until I actually move in but oh well.

I'm sure Millwoods isn't too bad... I'm sure I've been to worse places (south side of Chicago).

Guest try2dstress

Millwoods isn't bad, just a few incidences recently that have given it a bad rap. Really though, Edmonton is a fairly safe city in general. Living in Toronto before and coming to Edmonton you can definitely tell the difference - especially watching the local news, it's much more pleasant here. And I'm sure Chicago beats both Edmonton and Toronto for crime so I think you'll feel pretty secure here.

Right across from the Miz is fine.

It seems to be exactly what you're looking for - near the hospital and in a quiet area. You're also a stones throw from the mall but that certainly dosen't make it a bad area or a difficult commute.

If you have a car, then you're right on the major arteries to get around, and if you don't then you're by the big bus terminal at the mall.

I was preparing to write that there isn't much to do right there, but really you're (almost) walking distance from two malls and lots of restaurants, and its a quiet area with some nice parks. There is traffic but its Edmonton - its not really very bad. And again, its very simple to get anywhere from that area, and dosen't take very long at all (<20 min to almost anywhere).

Guest ubcparamedic

haha I have cousins that live in Millwood. That area is full of East-Indians no wonder why there are so many drive bys....too many "thug wannabes" living in that area. I am East-indian so this isnt a racist comment, just the truth

Archived