Premed 101 Forums

UofA vs Queens

Guest stiker85

Guest stiker85

hey everyone,

I know these 2 schools are on the opposite sides of the country, but which would you say is better, UofA or Queen's. I know they both have their pros and cons, but they're my top 2 choices. If by some miracle i get an acceptance at both, I just want to make sure im making the right decision. What would you do?

Guest summervirus

Hiya, this exact same question was actually asked around 2-3 years ago: p090.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=159.topic

There was another thread in the old Queen's forum too but it got lost after ezboard crashed last year and I can't find it now. But, it has similar info to the thread I linked to above. I don't think anyone can tell you which school is better. With few exceptions, nobody has been enrolled in more than one Canadian medical school to really compare between them... and I don't think anyone has specifically gone to both UofA and Queen's to really objectively compare. I think the two schools, as you said, are great. I don't think you'll regret your choice no matter which one you decide to attend.

After much research this year I have concluded that, unlike the USA, in terms of quality all Canadian medical schools are the same. It will make no difference whatsoever to your career if you graduate from Queens or UofA. Furthermore, since almost all use some kind of cutoff formula in selecting applicants, there won't be much difference in the class make-ups, however it could be argued that since Queens doesn't have a geographic weighting there might be more diversity there.

There are subtle differences of course, like some are PBL, others are systems based, but overall you will learn the same thing and be just as qualified as everyone else in Canada.

I think the major deciding factor when choosing a school is the city. Where would you rather live?

Archived