Premed 101 Forums

chances

I posted this in the general forum just reposting here for some responses.. i've look at the acceptance list and my stats seem iffy..

Last year wrote my MCAT, scored 8's. I'm thinking about heading down to Vermont to rewrite in September, but just for the verbal section.

My cGPA sits around 3.5, i've got very good EC's.

Questions:

1) Is it worth trying to improve my verbal by a few points, say get a 10, only for the McMaster application?

2) Is it even possible to write the MCAT just this section in the US?

3) My application has not improved much besides more & better EC's, and last year I did not get an interview... so should I bother? Thinking about McMaster, Northern & Calgary, possibly McGill (in province).

Thanks.

1. Off course. Verbal is 32% of pre-interview formula.

2. If you can do it in Canada, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to do it in states

3. Unless you lived or went to high school in a rural area, don't even bother applying to Northern (without rural background, your chances of getting an interview is absolutely zero). If you are not IP for Calgary, your chances of getting an interview is slim to none, because of your low GPA, unless you do amazing on your VR. I have no clue about McGill admission.

Only ~10% of seats at Mac are for OOP. So if you are OOP, your chances are slim, unless you do amazing on CASPER and VR.

I might have come off as harsh, but I'm just being realistic. Have you considered doing a second undergraduate degree? I don't know your GPA breakdown, but if your last 2 year GPA is higher than your cGPA, consider applying to schools that look at last/best 2 years (Queen, Western, etc).

Good luck :)

Only problem with this is it will screw up your applications to other schools. Most Ontario schools take your most recent mcat score, not your best and so if you later decide to apply to any schools that require an mcat, they will see something like 0/12/0 instead of 8/8/8

Only problem with this is it will screw up your applications to other schools. Most Ontario schools take your most recent mcat score, not your best and so if you later decide to apply to any schools that require an mcat, they will see something like 0/12/0 instead of 8/8/8

Correct me if I'm wrong - but except for U of T (which the OP might not even be eligible for) - the 0/12/0 is better than the 8/8/8 since chances for Mac increases.

im not applying to any other schools that require mcat this year, and im IP for Ontario..

Then go for it I say! If you don't give it a shot, you might end up regretting it for a long time.

A note though, your EC's are pretty much irrelevant for Mac as the only non-academic assessment pre-interview is CASPer. So its not as much how impressive your EC's are or what you did but much rather what you gained from them. A laundry list of awesome EC's will get you nowhere with Mac

Archived