Premed 101 Forums

What should I do?

Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker but this is actually my first post. I need some input because I don't know which direction to take right now.

Currently, I'm a student athlete and I'll be finishing my degree in cell molecular Biology in two years. The problem is that because of my trainings (over 20 hours per week) one semester I could only take 3 courses and during my last 2 other semesters I could only take 4. I tried to take 5 courses during my first semester but my grades were poor in all of my classes because I had too much on my plate. My GPA currently stands at 2.9 out of 4.3.

So knowing that I will only be taking 4 classes per semester over the next two years. What are my options in order to get into medical school? Should I do a second degree?

Right now, my plan is to do a master of science in physical therapy and then apply into medical school. I'm thinking of doing this because since I'm not a physical therapy major, I will have to do a preparatory year where I'll have to take some physical therapy prerequisites before doing the Master's. That means that I still have 3 years of undergraduate level courses before doing the master's. Do you think it would be a good idea to apply after finishing the Master's?

It's also worth mentioning that I have 3 years of research experience in epidemiology and that I'm recognized as a high-level athlete by my province and my goal is to hopefully go to the Olympics in 2016.

Archived