Premed 101 Forums

Medsmurf, your assistance please

Guest Bones

Hello there, thank you for your time,

I noticed that you had made an earlier post about how you had come to Alberta from BC to pursue a Master's degree and had applied as an in-province applicant. I'm wondering if the Alberta schools had asked you for some sort of proof that you were from Alberta (since, I'm assuming, most of the items on your sketch took place in BC)... maybe a bill statement or something? I'm probably going to be starting a Master's in Edmonton in January, and I'd like to apply to the Alberta schools as well as an in-province applicant, but I'm nervous that in a year from now they will refuse to consider me an in-province applicant.

Thanks Medsmurf...

- Misagh

Guest medsmurf

Hey Bones,

No they did not need me to submit proof that I was living in Alberta. I think they could tell how long I had been living in Alberta by looking at my transcript that I had to send in from U of A while working on my M.Sc (I had already been working on my M.Sc. for two years when I applied).

If you are not going to be living in Alberta until you start your Master's in January and are planning on applying for med school next fall I don't think you will be considered an in-province applicant because if I remember correctly you have to be living in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to application.

Hi Medsmurf,

Thanks for the info. I'm not applying this round, I would apply next Nov (in '06) for '07 intended entry, so I would have been there at least 12 months. I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything "illegal" as far as the med school was concerned.

Guest medsmurf

I think you have to be living in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline (ie. Nov '06), not the start of school (ie. Sept '07).

Archived