Premed 101 Forums

pharmacist applying to dentistry

Hi all

I am currently a practicing pharmacist, having graduated 2 years ago, and have recently begun considering dentistry as a change.

Given that pharmacy is a highly competitive professional program, my gpa was brought down significantly, vs just my prerequisites alone (3.9/4.0 gpa); it is now 3.46/4.0. And I am writing the dat in November 2012.

I am wondering do Canadian dental schools take into consideration past degrees, ie. a professional degree like pharmacy, or take that into consideration when looking at gpa?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum,

The brother of a friend of mine was also in your situation, but because of the same GPA block, he is now studying dentistry in Australia.

I'm not too sure about special consideration, it's probably best to call the individual schools which you want to apply to and ask them directly.

Good luck!

Hi all

I am currently a practicing pharmacist, having graduated 2 years ago, and have recently begun considering dentistry as a change.

Given that pharmacy is a highly competitive professional program, my gpa was brought down significantly, vs just my prerequisites alone (3.9/4.0 gpa); it is now 3.46/4.0. And I am writing the dat in November 2012.

I am wondering do Canadian dental schools take into consideration past degrees, ie. a professional degree like pharmacy, or take that into consideration when looking at gpa?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Even though you say it's a professional degree, isn't urs just a masters degree (unless you obtained a PhD in pharmacy)? I think they'll treat you the same as someone who graduated from a masters program which makes sense if your degree says masters of pharmacy. I might be wrong though..

Even though you say it's a professional degree, isn't urs just a masters degree (unless you obtained a PhD in pharmacy)? I think they'll treat you the same as someone who graduated from a masters program which makes sense if your degree says masters of pharmacy. I might be wrong though..

Pharmacy is an undergraduate degree and your marks from this degree will def be used to calculate your gpa for dental schools. They don't care how competitive a program is...

Agreed. Had 4 classmates from pharmacy. They don't care just like if you went from dentistry to medicine - same equivalent to any undergrad degree.

Pharmacy is an undergraduate degree and your marks from this degree will def be used to calculate your gpa for dental schools. They don't care how competitive a program is...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived