Premed 101 Forums

Would this count as research?

Ricarda

Hi all, I'm just wondering what category a certain project would fit under in a medical school/optometry application.

During the summer of my grade 11 year, I worked at McCain Foods as a student intern (6 weeks). I completed an independent study investigating the performances of several ATP luminometers and chemical surface swabs for the Potato Processing Centre. When my work term ended, I had completed a scientific report with introduction, method, calculations, results, et cetera.

Does this count as legitimate research, or should I put this somewhere else in my applications? I didn't really get a publication out of it, but according to my supervisor, it was sent to one of McCain's global stakeholders and could possibly affect McCain's choice in future sanitation devices for their processing plants. Hence, it did have some effect on matters on a global scale.

So, is this research or more of a work-related project?

• 1 month later...
Hi all, I'm just wondering what category a certain project would fit under in a medical school/optometry application.

During the summer of my grade 11 year, I worked at McCain Foods as a student intern (6 weeks). I completed an independent study investigating the performances of several ATP luminometers and chemical surface swabs for the Potato Processing Centre. When my work term ended, I had completed a scientific report with introduction, method, calculations, results, et cetera.

Does this count as legitimate research, or should I put this somewhere else in my applications? I didn't really get a publication out of it, but according to my supervisor, it was sent to one of McCain's global stakeholders and could possibly affect McCain's choice in future sanitation devices for their processing plants. Hence, it did have some effect on matters on a global scale.

So, is this research or more of a work-related project?

Wow, that sounds cool :)

However, I wouldn't consider it as a actual research experience in a lab, but I would mention it in your application as it is some form of research. I hope this helps, good luck :)

Archived