Premed 101 Forums

Getting into Calgary with under 3.4 cGPA?

What are the chances of someone getting into Calgary with a cGPA (3 undergrad year GPAs, 1 year of grad degree GPA) of 3.2 - 3.4?

My cGPA sits at ~3.34... although when I apply (After done PhD - approx 4 years to go), I would have many publications, PhD, awesome extra curriculars, international med/research experience through U of C, big name graduate supervisor (not too sure that this would help at all, but maybe... he has had very important academic appointments within the medical school and the U of C at large). My MCAT (I took it in my 4th year of undergrad) was 11Bio - 8Phys - 14Verbal, T Writing. I suspect by the time I would apply, I would need to retake my MCAT - I can get the same verbal score, that isn't hard for me.

I'm just trying to weigh my choices here. I really wish I wouldn't have screwed up my undergrad grades so hard.... and I could have got into the MD/PhD program from the get-go, instead of me trying to create my own version of MD/PhD.

What are the chances of someone getting into Calgary with a cGPA (3 undergrad year GPAs, 1 year of grad degree GPA) of 3.2 - 3.4?

My cGPA sits at ~3.34... although when I apply, I would have many publications, PhD, awesome extra curriculars, international med/research experience through U of C, big name graduate supervisor (not too sure that this would help at all, but maybe... he has had very important academic appointments within the medical school and the U of C at large).

I'm just trying to weigh my choices here. I really wish I wouldn't have screwed up my undergrad grades so hard.... and I could have got into the MD/PhD program from the get-go, instead of me trying to create my own version of MD/PhD.

I can't tell you your chances (since I don't even know!) but I would definitely apply and give it a shot. Obviously your GPA is on the low side, but it is above the minimum and your file would get full review. Your extra-cirriculars sound great and the additional research experience is definitely something that would play a role. UofC is well known for looking at the "well-rounded applicant" and the applicant as a whole, rather than simply GPA driven so that definitely plays in your favour. I think it's important to ensure you have very strong reference letters to raise that score as high as can be (which shouldn't be a problem as you have completed a PhD). How was your VR?

My cGPA sits at ~3.34... although when I apply (After done PhD - approx 4 years to go), I would have many publications, PhD, awesome extra curriculars, international med/research experience through U of C, big name graduate supervisor (not too sure that this would help at all, but maybe... he has had very important academic appointments within the medical school and the U of C at large). My MCAT (I took it in my 4th year of undergrad) was 11Bio - 8Phys - 14Verbal, T Writing. I suspect by the time I would apply, I would need to retake my MCAT - I can get the same verbal score, that isn't hard for me.

Also, what is the trends for your GPA? Going upwards?

I can't tell you your chances (since I don't even know!) but I would definitely apply and give it a shot. Obviously your GPA is on the low side, but it is above the minimum and your file would get full review. Your extra-cirriculars sound great and the additional research experience is definitely something that would play a role. UofC is well known for looking at the "well-rounded applicant" and the applicant as a whole, rather than simply GPA driven so that definitely plays in your favour. I think it's important to ensure you have very strong reference letters to raise that score as high as can be (which shouldn't be a problem as you have completed a PhD). How was your VR?

VR was 14.

1st year - 2.035

2nd year - 2.8

3rd year - 3.3

4th year - 3.26

Graduate degree GPA - 4.0

With a VR of 14 and a trend of going upwards in your GPA I would without a doubt apply and see how you fare. You have nothing to lose (except the app fee) and I think a VR of 14 combined with your other activities/PhD gives you a good chance to get to interview.

Good luck!!

With a VR of 14 and a trend of going upwards in your GPA I would without a doubt apply and see how you fare. You have nothing to lose (except the app fee) and I think a VR of 14 combined with your other activities/PhD gives you a good chance to get to interview.

Good luck!!

Ack well I've got quite a few years until I'm done my PhD to even apply.... so maybe the standards will change by then, and I won't even be eligible.

I wish they took grad grades after your courses were finished, and not the degree. Ugh.

Archived