Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to Interview Invites 2012

NB Resident

B.Sc Biology&Economics, UNB (2011) - cGPA 4.0 (3.84 OMSAS)

additional year part-time at Queen's

MCAT - 11/9/12/S = 32S

EC's -

-varsity athlete at Queens, medalist @ Canada Summer Games / other fulltime training&competing in my sport for 5 years

-NSERC x1, no pubs

-TA x2 in Biology/Microbiology

-volunteering in ER, simulated medical student

-other volunteering for major political parties and coaching sports teams

-occasional contributor to public policy think tank research papers

-active in a student political group/ trip to Washington DC

-fulltime work during summers since Grade 10, also worked during school year at Queens and the TA'ing at UNB

I'm feeling OK about Dalhousie but I am unsure where else to apply. My part-time marks at Queens aren't being considered by Dal (thankfully - I actually failed a course) - but most other schools are counting it. MUN is out, I'm considering UBC, Alberta?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, a paper on ALS and epigenetics. Well, it shows that I have a reason to stay in Sain John and not ditch the province after moving in. I don't mind settling there and starting a family. I think they want to see what commitments you have in Atlantic Canada.

She finished Architecture from UofT. She's looking for a job now.

Yes, they're looking for commitments to staying on the east coast but I'm not sure if they'll take your story for its word. Many can fib about it, and have done so in the past. But if you're really serious about it (lol like really love her) then hopefully admissions can look through that.

On a side note, cool my sister finished Arch. at UofT too! Maybe they know each other? Haha, what's her first name (you can pm if it's convenient).

Your EC's are astonishing btw, hope you get in too!

Yes, they're looking for commitments to staying on the east coast but I'm not sure if they'll take your story for its word. Many can fib about it, and have done so in the past. But if you're really serious about it (lol like really love her) then hopefully admissions can look through that.

On a side note, cool my sister finished Arch. at UofT too! Maybe they know each other? Haha, what's her first name (you can pm if it's convenient).

Your EC's are astonishing btw, hope you get in too!

I hope they call for more info as I could give them her # in SJ to verify the story. I realize that many can fabricate a romance and have no back up... oh well, we'll see.

I've put a great deal of effort of masking my true identity on these forums as I've always kept my life separate from the net as different people lol. Perhaps when we meet for prep, we could talk then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!.

was looking around and found some of the scoring info for Dal.

Does anyone know if this is final scoring and does anyone know what kind of a score will get you an acceptance?

mcat /10

gpa /15

essay /10

interests /5

medical /5

volunteer /5

jobs /5

discretionary /5

interview /40

total /100

Hey guys!.

was looking around and found some of the scoring info for Dal.

Does anyone know if this is final scoring and does anyone know what kind of a score will get you an acceptance?

mcat /10

gpa /15

essay /10

interests /5

medical /5

volunteer /5

jobs /5

discretionary /5

interview /40

total /100

I guess the top scores until they fill out their seats?

Just keep in mind it's not the total score per se that determines acceptance, but the overall z score. The z score corrects for differences in variance for each metric. For example, Dal weights academics at 25% and the interview at 40% of the application. Assume that your academic score is X points above the mean academic score of the applicant pool, which puts you 1 standard deviation above the mean. If an applicant were 1 standard deviation above the mean for the interview, then, his or her interview score would be (40/25)X or 1.6X points above the mean interview score of the applicant pool.

I guess the top scores until they fill out their seats?

Yeah... I was hoping someone might know what the average scores are like for applicants (previous years) or if >score of 80 will get you in but >75 will probably get you waitlisted, etc. Also if anyone knows what will get you 5's in your EC categories. or full marks in essay.

I do know a 35+ on MCAT gives you 10/10 for that score... and assuming 4.0 is

15/15. Also anyone sure what will get you full marks in discretionary?

Just keep in mind it's not the total score per se that determines acceptance, but the overall z score. The z score corrects for differences in variance for each metric. For example, Dal weights academics at 25% and the interview at 40% of the application. Assume that your academic score is X points above the mean academic score of the applicant pool, which puts you 1 standard deviation above the mean. If an applicant were 1 standard deviation above the mean for the interview, then, his or her interview score would be (40/25)X or 1.6X points above the mean interview score of the applicant pool.

I see...but in the total score its out of 100 and the interview gets you 40 points (40%) and the gpa 15 points and mcat 10 points which is 25% academics. So is it not a flat highest overall scores get in?

I see...but in the total score its out of 100 and the interview gets you 40 points (40%) and the gpa 15 points and mcat 10 points which is 25% academics. So is it not a flat highest overall scores get in?

No, it's the z score that determines acceptance. The thing is, the score out of 100 points is a pretty good indicator of where you stand in the z score ranking as well. The relative weights of each component are the same; the z score just corrects for what would be unfair differences in applicant scores that are unrelated to actual differences in application strength. For example, let's say that an application is made up of two components that are weighted at 50 points each, and the mean of each component is 25; however, the standard deviation of component A is 10 whereas that of component B is 20.

Take two hypothetical applicants:

Student 1: scored 1 standard deviation above on A, one standard deviation below on B

Student 2: scored 1 standard deviation above on B, one standard deviation below on A

Since both components are both worth the same, in a fair system both students would have the same score; however, because of the differences in variance, student A has a score of 15 and student B has a score of 35, giving student B an unfair advantage.

This example is extreme just to show a point. Often, many applicants are very close to each other in the score out of 100 points, so it is very important that the scores be adjusted for variance in order to be as fair as possible.

No, it's the z score that determines acceptance. The thing is, the score out of 100 points is a pretty good indicator of where you stand in the z score ranking as well. The relative weights of each component are the same; the z score just corrects for what would be unfair differences in applicant scores that are unrelated to actual differences in application strength. For example, let's say that an application is made up of two components that are weighted at 50 points each, and the mean of each component is 25; however, the standard deviation of component A is 10 whereas that of component B is 20.

Student 1: scored 1 standard deviation above on A, one standard deviation below on B

Student 2: scored 1 standard deviation above on B, one standard deviation below on A

Since both components are both worth the same, in a fair system both students would have the same score; however, because of the differences in variance, student A has a score of 15 and student B has a score of 35, giving student B an unfair advantage.

This example is extreme just to show a point. Often, many applicants are very close to each other in the score out of 100 points, so it is very important that the scores be adjusted for variance in order to be as fair as possible.

Nicely put

Thank You, now stats is coming back to me lol :)

In the past it's been close to the end of October. Last year it was the 21st, year before that it was the 18th, so it's safe to assume that it would be around that time again this year. The year before that, interviews were in February so there are not a lot of data points yet.

Ah I see, sounds like it'll probably be around that time again then, thanks!

Firstly: collegedude22, that was the best explanation of z-scores I have ever read.

Secondly: Are you certain that it's the z-scores that determine acceptance? My understanding from Carolyn was that the z-scores are only used in cases where two or more applicants have the same overall score. Therefore, they would only be used to determine acceptance and waitlist cutoff as well as waitlist position.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived