Premed 101 Forums

3rd & 4th year schedules

Guest EngineerwMasters

Guest EngineerwMasters

To current 3rd & 4th year students..

I'm starting 1st year this September, and was wondering what kind of hours you put in 3rd & 4th years.. The reason I ask is I have a young son (13months old).. and am trying to think ahead for after-hours childcare.

Thanks.

3rd year:

12 months long, with 8 weeks of elective time (one 6 week block & one 2 week block). The elective time is variable throughout the year depending on the "track" you are given. The rest of the time is 4 - 6 week rotations:

- 6 weeks of Psych - depending on the site you will work just the mornings with little to no call, or you will work from 8 - 5 pm with busy 1 in 4 home call (no post call days)

- 6 weeks Gen Surg - 1 in 4 call, busy in-hospital call, generally working from 5:30 am - 5:30 pm (no post call days)

- 6 weeks Obs Gyn - usually 7 am - 5 pm schedule. depending on the site you will be oncall 1 in 4 or 1 in 7. You get to go home post-call by 8 am.

- 4 week Rural Family Medicine - can be done a driveable distance from the city (ie Leduc), but I recommend for your own learning that you go far away. Some places give you an entire condo so you can take your family with you

- 6 weeks Peds - 3 weeks are clinic (no call), 3 are CTU with call (about 3 -4 calls over the 3 weeks) and you leave at noon the next day

- 12 weeks internal med: 8 weeks have call that averages to be 1 in 4 or 1 in 5. Leave the next day at noon. The other 4 weeks are without call and are clinic based (some half days), cardiology, and anesthesia.

4th year:

No in-house call, although I hear Ortho Surg suggests students do inhouse call (probably only important if you want to do Ortho!)

Rotations include: 3 weeks Urban Family Med, 2 weeks Geriatrics, 6 weeks of Subspecialty surg, 4 weeks of Emergency (shift work), 3 weeks of Pediatrics.

Hope that helps. Do you have a parter/family to help you with child care? If so, I don't think it will be an issue. It's not ideal, but you can get through it...

If you are a single parent, it could be difficult because call is not really negotiable (especially not in residency)....

EB

Guest EngineerwMasters

Thanks EB..

Not sure I understand all the lingo yet.. but I didn't realize that 3rd year we get no summer vacation off at all (not even a week??) I do have a husband, but I think we're going to need help some evenings if I'm not going to be home at all. I'm not too sure I understand "no post call". By 'call' I assume you mean we're there all day and night until 8 am or noon the next day?

Thanks.

hello,

if you want vacation time in 3rd year, you need to sacrifice some of your elective time. you are not guaranteed to have elective time in the summer, although when you are picking your "track" at the end of 2nd year you can ask them to consider your child as a reason you should have a track with summer electives. electives are used to figure out what you want to do and to make contacts needed for letters of reference... you are given 1 week of at Xmas/New years.

call is 24 hours of covering a service (ie gen surg or obsgyn) where you see most of the new patients, cover ward issues and liason with residents and staff. some services allow you to go home the next day "post call" (ie ObGyn by 8 am, Peds by noon) and some do not (ie gen surg - you are there until 5 pm the next day).

erin

hey guys, i was also wondering during clerkship how the classes would work since it seems like there are many different groups of students with different schedules?

also i was wondering how the clerkship program at the u of a differs from that of other canadian medical schools,

thanks,

dl

Guest coolguy3650

Alright, so If I take this as an example: "6 weeks Gen Surg - 1 in 4 call, busy in-hospital call, generally working from 5:30 am - 5:30 pm (no post call days)"

I have to be in the hospital 24 hours on Monday (12am to 12am?) then get Tuesday off, then have to work a 12 hour shift on Wednesday and Thursday, then start the cycle again on Friday? Is the weekend counted in the cycle? Wow, that averages out to 84 hours a week if my caculation are correct.

No.

It would work like this:

Arrive Monday at 5:30, be on call... "call" stops the next morning when the student on-call for Tuesday arrives at rounds, on Tuesday morning you round at 5:30, and STAY for the day (for the OR, clinic, whatever)... so you go home at 5:30 pm on Tuesday (roughly 36 hrs). You then come to work Wed, Thurs, Fri. You're on-call Friday and go home Saturday...

A student is on-call each weekend, but if you are post-call (ie finishing a shift) on Sat or Sun then you get to go home. If you're on-call Sunday and finishing your shift Monday, then you stay.

Is that making more sense?

Archived