Premed 101 Forums

VR

hammertime

I received a competitive score. If you started out with a 10, I'm sure you can improve it to an 11 or 12. It becomes harder to improve your score after hitting a 10, and especially after hitting a 12, only because the score bands get so much narrower (i.e. 1 wrong = drop 1 level).

Competitive can mean a lot of things. 30T with a 12 in Verbal is competitive at Western, and 36R with a 7 in verbal isn't at Mac. The point was to understnad if your advice is from someone scoring 3 in VR or 15.

Competitive can mean a lot of things. 30T with a 12 in Verbal is competitive at Western, and 36R with a 7 in verbal isn't at Mac. The point was to understnad if your advice is from someone scoring 3 in VR or 15.

Well, 30T with a 12 in VR wouldn't be competitive at Western since the cutoff usually sits at 9PS/11VR/10BS, but I suppose that's not the point.

My VR diagnostic was a 7. For what it's worth I ended up with a 10 in VR.

Well, 30T with a 12 in VR wouldn't be competitive at Western since the cutoff usually sits at 9PS/11VR/10BS, but I suppose that's not the point.

My VR diagnostic was a 7. For what it's worth I ended up with a 10 in VR.

Isn't the Verbal at Western the only hard cutoff though? If so, 9/12/9 would work.

14/10/13 T. Started at 5, worked my way to 10s/11s on practices. Although I don't see how my score is relevant. The advice can be valid regardless of what I scored.

Agreed, the advice CAN be relevant. That's the key word though, can. In most instances it's not relevant to know the person's characteristics in determining validity, but if it's related to the topic at hand, then it's not ad hominem. In this case, it's helpful to know what you scored.

About how many points roughly do you think you can add to your VR score after preparing, compared to your diagnostic?

What'd you use for diagnostic?

And it's almost impossible to gauge how much someone's score can change. I've heard of people going from 5 to 10. I've heard of people being unable to change their scores, whether they be 7, 11, etc. I've heard of people getting consistently good scores (e.g. 10-12) on practices and getting 4-5 on the actual thing.

What'd you use for diagnostic?

And it's almost impossible to gauge how much someone's score can change. I've heard of people going from 5 to 10. I've heard of people being unable to change their scores, whether they be 7, 11, etc. I've heard of people getting consistently good scores (e.g. 10-12) on practices and getting 4-5 on the actual thing.

I used an online AAMC mcat.

Yeah, it's just that we usually focus on the VR cutoff because that's what eliminates most of the applicants.

Western is a tricky school. They in one sense, provide you hope with their best two years policy, then at the same time put a high verbal and overall cutoff for their MCAT and expect above 3.7 both years to make things tricky.

Archived