Premed 101 Forums

[Official] Applying to PT 2013 Thread

Don't have it sorry. :( New one is out in two weeks though.

My sGPA is also 3.75, which I doubt will get me very far seeing as that was the cut-off for many places last year and not good enough for Western. Hoping on Queen's since my cumGPA is 3.67 and I have a fair amount of experience in both a private clinic and senior care home. If anyone has an idea about whether I have a shot or not, it'd be really helpful. :)

Don't have it sorry. :( New one is out in two weeks though.

My sGPA is also 3.75, which I doubt will get me very far seeing as that was the cut-off for many places last year and not good enough for Western. Hoping on Queen's since my cumGPA is 3.67 and I have a fair amount of experience in both a private clinic and senior care home. If anyone has an idea about whether I have a shot or not, it'd be really helpful. :)

Actually, I think last years cut-off was 3.71 (i'd know cause i missed it by 0.01 last year) and that was for UT. Though Mac was 3.75, I know a friend who was called in for a interview with 3.71, which means they went down the list pretty far.

Now, being realistic here, I think 3.75 will get us an interview this year in all of ontario. The GPA movement seems to avg ~0.02 every year, which would theoretically make this year 3.73 (don't quote me).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know when they usually do interviews for Toronto, Western, and McMaster? From what I can see they are late April.. do any of them go into May? I was thinking of booking a trip to Europe for this summer as I am graduating this year, and it gets progressively more expensive as you go into May, so hoping for May 1st.

Does anybody know when they usually do interviews for Toronto, Western, and McMaster? From what I can see they are late April.. do any of them go into May? I was thinking of booking a trip to Europe for this summer as I am graduating this year, and it gets progressively more expensive as you go into May, so hoping for May 1st.

None are in May. U of T does the CAP on April 27 (or April 24 for religious accommodations/special requirements). McMaster does their interviews from April 26 to 28. Western doesn't have interviews.

By the way, does anyone know if McMaster does PT interviews on April 27 (same day as U of T)? I know the April 26-28 dates are for both PT and OT interviews.

None are in May. U of T does the CAP on April 27 (or April 24 for religious accommodations/special requirements). McMaster does their interviews from April 26 to 28. Western doesn't have interviews.

By the way, does anyone know if McMaster does PT interviews on April 27 (same day as U of T)? I know the April 26-28 dates are for both PT and OT interviews.

If I remember correctly, they do do it on the same day. Its really a random draw I think. Though, I think you can make arrangements if you have a conflict....

For those people that are just at the interview or CAP exam cutoff, it still is possible to get into the program. I just made the UofT cutoff for PT (3.71) and was waitlisted number 3. I got in the Monday after acceptances were sent out (they sent them on a Friday this year). However, I decided my interests were more related to OT, so I chose Mac for that. Good luck!

Hey everyone, its my first day on PreMed101 and this is my first post so I'm fairly new at this.

What are my chances looking like if I'm applying with a 3.77? I'm looking to apply to all Ontario schools, and I have years of experience as a personal trainer and in physio clinics.

I have a question:

my sGPA will probably not be that high so I'm planning on taking an extra semester. Do the schools care if 1) that semester is part-time or 2) that semester is full-time but not a full course load?

No they don't. Course load doesn't matter for PT.

They do not provide this information unfortunately, even if you e-mail them. I do know that McGill looks at your cumGPA (entire undergraduate) and they typically require 3.5 or above to get in. Their minimum is 3.0 but when I talked to someone in the program they had said most people had 3.5+ in that program. As for Ottawa, they refused to tell me when I had e-mailed them, so I have no idea. I would just apply and see what happens. They also want a B minimum so 3.0 minimum.

Thanks for your answer PinkTulip!

I had also called and emailed them but as you said they don't reveal the minimal required GPA to get in

Would anyone who applied to uOttawa or Mcgill and got admitted be willing to share they're GPA? It would be really appreciate!

thankss

Thanks for your answer PinkTulip!

I had also called and emailed them but as you said they don't reveal the minimal required GPA to get in

Would anyone who applied to uOttawa or Mcgill and got admitted be willing to share they're GPA? It would be really appreciate!

thankss

Make a new thread about it, this is interesting and I'd also like to know the answer.... UOttawa info is really scarce, I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with them!

Keep in mind that for McGill PT there are 2 entry points - assuming you already have a Bachelor's degree, you can apply for entry into the Master's (or what is called qualifying year in McGill-speak, a year of foundational learning before the 1.5 year Master's - 2.5 years total) or you can apply into the Bachelor's degree in PT (non-practicing, but it guarantees admission into the Master's in PT if you finish with at least a 3.0/4.0 GPA - also the final year of the Bachelor's in PT is equivalent to the qualifying year the Master's students are doing - this route would take you 4.5 years total).

Make a new thread about it, this is interesting and I'd also like to know the answer.... UOttawa info is really scarce, I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with them!

Keep in mind that for McGill PT there are 2 entry points - assuming you already have a Bachelor's degree, you can apply for entry into the Master's (or what is called qualifying year in McGill-speak, a year of foundational learning before the 1.5 year Master's - 2.5 years total) or you can apply into the Bachelor's degree in PT (non-practicing, but it guarantees admission into the Master's in PT if you finish with at least a 3.0/4.0 GPA - also the final year of the Bachelor's in PT is equivalent to the qualifying year the Master's students are doing - this route would take you 4.5 years total).

Thanks so much for your reply and help!

I'm creating a new thread now with this topic! Hope to get some answers about the GPA! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived