Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on CASPer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope they take into consideration the time constraint when reviewing our test answers.

Also, I wanted to ask those who have completed it already, did you guys get an email confirmation after you completed the test? I didn't get one but I feel like they should send us some sort of an email after completion.

I agree that the time constraints were a bit crazy. It was hard to have to think and type at the same time, and I didn't even come close to using the allowed amount of characters. I'm sure they will take the time into consideration.

I only received an email letting me know that I had started, and that when I had completed the survey.

I actually really enjoyed it, and just went with my gut and started typing the second the questions popped up. I feel pretty good, but who knows?

No e-mail confirmation for finishing, just starting. Though the last screen after the survey was a confirmation that we'd finished and that we wouldn't be contacted unless they needed more information from us, so at least that made me feel secure about being totally done and closing the window.

I actually really enjoyed it, and just went with my gut and started typing the second the questions popped up. I feel pretty good, but who knows?

No e-mail confirmation for finishing, just starting. Though the last screen after the survey was a confirmation that we'd finished and that we wouldn't be contacted unless they needed more information from us, so at least that made me feel secure about being totally done and closing the window.

Yeah, that screen came up for me as well.

Did you find the book Doing Right to be helpful for Casper? I know it's a good read in general and likely helpful for interviews, but was it helpful specifically for Casper?

I would say that the book is more helping in sort of teaching you how to approach ethical dilemmas in medicine. However, it has much more detail than I personally think you need so it's more suitable for med. students and health practitioners (obvs. because it's written for them). But I would recommend reading some of it and reading some cases as well to get the gist of it.

Did you find the book Doing Right to be helpful for Casper? I know it's a good read in general and likely helpful for interviews, but was it helpful specifically for Casper?

I've read the book while I was working in different hospital settings. It added more insight into my clinical experience. If anything, It enhanced my vocabulary for CASPer

Wow, it's so normalizing to hear that I wasn't the only one who struggled with the time limit!! And for some odd reason, the countdown timer wasn't working on my computer, and I ran out of time on a few of the last questions before completing my full thought. That was soooo frustrating!! I wish the timer had been working, I would have been more successful at pacing my answers... :(

Hope it went well for everyone...It was definitely interesting. I didn't find it difficult at all but the time constraint definitely made me think that anyone with poor typing skills would be screwed which shouldn't be what it is about. I was able to get about over 500 characters per answer probably closer to 800 most times sometimes more sometimes less. I was only really unable to answer one question fully last word got cut off, other than that it was a good experience. Hoping I answered well enough for them and answered in a way that they were looking for. I was able to think and polish as much as I could while typing but it was tight timing ... ..oh well it is over now...now to wait more. How much on average was everyone else writing per question?

**Also I did find Doing Right quite helpful.

Just try to type your thoughts AS FAST AS YOU CAN lol seriously though :)

We'll see what happens in 3 months I guess. I'm curious as to how I did if only because I had a technical problem on one video and found the timing far too cramped. Maybe I am a slow typer, but if I don't get an interview I know exactly what not to do next time, if only because my score would need to be terrible not to get one.

I had a strange experience with the timer. I used Safari to do the test and during the first half of the test I zoomed in and could not see the timer. So I didn't even know the timer existed! I was approximating the 5 mins using my computer clock and was able to write equal amounts for all questions in all sections.

Come break time, I randomly decide to zoom out and see the timer in the corner! Then I kept it like that for the rest of the test. However, now I kept looking at the timer and somehow it did affect me. I ended up writing more for the first questions in each section compared to the second and third. So I was wondering after the test that maybe I should have hid the timer and did the 2nd half of the test like I did the 1st half.

Hoping for the best now. Got cut-off at the end of one my answers. I was at the last word. I hope they take into consideration the time limit and potential grammar errors that may or may not have occurred due to this.

We'll see what happens in 3 months I guess. I'm curious as to how I did if only because I had a technical problem on one video and found the timing far too cramped. Maybe I am a slow typer, but if I don't get an interview I know exactly what not to do next time, if only because my score would need to be terrible not to get one.

oh no! technical issues...of any kind would suck especially in that crazy timed environment.. So what do you mean you'll know what not to do? What did you do this time?

Oh I really hope that they don't penalize you for that. There are bound to be some issues whenever technology is involved.

I just mean in terms of my responses and how I answered questions, if my answers don't get me an interview I will know I answered very poorly on the majority of the questions and will try to avoid the same pitfalls in the future. Sort of like isolating the variable that is the CASPer

I just mean in terms of my responses and how I answered questions, if my answers don't get me an interview I will know I answered very poorly on the majority of the questions and will try to avoid the same pitfalls in the future. Sort of like isolating the variable that is the CASPer

hmmm.. I didn't really use any specific format or thought process to answer my questions..I just tried to be as genuine and ethical as I could....I tried to be me..I don't think I could change the way I approached CASPer especially given the time restraint. I tried to look at it as more of an interview.:) I just find it interesting ..everyone has their own way.

hmmm.. I didn't really use any specific format or thought process to answer my questions..I just tried to be as genuine and ethical as I could....I tried to be me..I don't think I could change the way I approached CASPer especially given the time restraint. I tried to look at it as more of an interview.:) I just find it interesting ..everyone has their own way.

I did the exact same thing as well, I just mean in terms of how I presented my answers, I went primarily with whatever was on my mind, but if it doesn't work out, I will likely present the information in a different (perhaps better way), and of course work on my typing speed, as that seems to garner a massive advantage I hope McMaster has dealt with in some way.

I did the exact same thing as well, I just mean in terms of how I presented my answers, I went primarily with whatever was on my mind, but if it doesn't work out, I will likely present the information in a different (perhaps better way), and of course work on my typing speed, as that seems to garner a massive advantage I hope McMaster has dealt with in some way.

I'm with ya on the typing thing.. I was able to answer all my questions pretty much with enough time...shortening some after checking time but I type 90-100+ wpm so I was pretty shocked at how fast everything went. My main feeling after was wow how would people do with no so great typing skills..I actually stressed this in the survey thing at the end. It is not a typing test but seemed as such with how fast you had to be. How much were able to write /question?

I can't remember exactly but I think something along the lines of 500 characters per entry if i was lucky, I type at about 50wpm, but this can go a little up or down depending. I'm glad even the faster folks like yourself look out for the slow typers on the end survey, it's much appreciated :P, at this point I'm hoping the rest of my stats are enough to pull up my CASPer score.

It goes so fast it's hard to even tell how you're feeling about your answers during the test. I feel like I at least got something coherent down for every question and some of them I'm really happy with. But I do wish I had more time since there were a number of times I thought of a good point with 10 seconds left and couldn't get it all down. And in one question I somehow accidentally highlighted and deleted most of my answer. Rewriting it sucked up time so my other answer for that section probably wasn't so stellar.

Of course thinking back I've come up with points I wish I thought of at the time, but you're never going to have as great an answer in under 2 minutes as you would with time to reflect.

Anybody else have a lot of typos? I just didn't have time to correct them so if the word was readable, I just left it.

It kind of sucks to put all of this energy and thought into it andI not get to find out your results. Does anyone know why they don't tell us?

I can't remember exactly but I think something along the lines of 500 characters per entry if i was lucky, I type at about 50wpm, but this can go a little up or down depending. I'm glad even the faster folks like yourself look out for the slow typers on the end survey, it's much appreciated :P, at this point I'm hoping the rest of my stats are enough to pull up my CASPer score.

you still seem in pretty good position..you IP? Im OOP soo..ugghh I need CASPer lol. I am quite a non-trad so a holistic approach is best for me...Queens? lol

you still seem in pretty good position..you IP? Im OOP soo..ugghh I need CASPer lol. I am quite a non-trad so a holistic approach is best for me...Queens? lol

Yea, I'm IP and like I said I'm going to need the rest of application to get me through to interviews where I think I will perform better comparatively speaking. And it sounds like you rocked the CASPer so you have a really good shot at an interview, I know Queen's does have a very holistic approach, but lots of life experience and some good problem solving come with the non-trad. That means you have a good chance on performing well for that big 70% mmi at mac.

Archived