Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on CASPer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO that is the vast minority of people taking tests tomorrow haha; us Sunday people have the unfair advantage of having 4 more days to prepare, and having no work/school stress, plus a whole Saturday to do R&R - it would be a miracle if the test will only be slightly more challenging.

you raise a good point. but on the other hand, from that view, the people on wednesday also chose to write that day. but in that vein, they actually maybe didn't! it's a lottery, right? i understand that they probably had a way to try to ensure that everyone got one of their top 2 spots, but it's possible that some had wanted to write wednesday but then got a sunday slot instead. that would certainly unfairly taint their evaluation if they gave that person a harder time.

following that, they could give people whose first choice (regardless of actual assigned slot) was wednesday a bit of an advantage, but again, what about those who put wednesday down and then just switched to sunday? they'd get an unfair bump + prep time.

this is getting too convoluted :P LOL

you raise a good point. but on the other hand, from that view, the people on wednesday also chose to write that day. but in that vein, they actually maybe didn't! it's a lottery, right? i understand that they probably had a way to try to ensure that everyone got one of their top 2 spots, but it's possible that some had wanted to write wednesday but then got a sunday slot instead. that would certainly unfairly taint their evaluation if they gave that person a harder time.

following that, they could give people whose first choice (regardless of actual assigned slot) was wednesday a bit of an advantage, but again, what about those who put wednesday down and then just switched to sunday? they'd get an unfair bump + prep time.

this is getting too convoluted :P LOL

No need to over-complicate things, people choose earlier dates if they want to finish things and get them over with; others choose later dates if they are either ill-prepared or like to push things back.

Sure there are people who want 1 date but end up having to do another, and others who are forced to do 1 date against their wishes due to personal conflicts, but I doubt that is a big percentage of the overall test pool.

If I were a prof or a teacher and I have to provide two separate test dates for my students, it would make sense to tweak the two tests differently for the two test groups, again assuming most test date choices are voluntary. This ensures a broad-range semblance of fairness. I probably wouldn't tweak the second one too difficult though, maybe just add a few extra "twists", if you know what I mean hehe.

IMO that is the vast minority of people taking tests tomorrow haha; us Sunday people have the unfair advantage of having 4 more days to prepare, and having no work/school stress, plus a whole Saturday to do R&R - it would be a miracle if the test will only be slightly more challenging.

It's not really a test you can "study" for, so the extra prep time likely won't make too big a difference.

What I imagine they'd do, or at least what I hope, is that they normalize the scores from both of the days, particularly if they use different prompts/questions on those days. Their sample size is certainly large enough to assume roughly equal ability (3000-4000+), and that should account for all those potential issues.

I'm on break now, and OBVIOUSLY one of my mouse buttons (some side button) is like a "back" button... and I accidentally PRESSED IT! After typing in 2 whole answers! It refreshed the page and my beautiful answers were gone. I only had 1 minute left for all 3 questions, so there went the answers, to be replaced by about one sentence each. I'm so sad/mad. :(

WORD OF ADVICE for everyone doing Casper/ that has done Casper already. DON'T stress! You don't need to come up with life changing ideas! Just speak your mind and be thoughtful. When I did Casper last year I didn't have enough time to express my thoughts on some questions, messed up spelling and ended up being cut off mid sentence on some questions. They're looking at your reasoning skills, not your typing or ability to make well formed sentences without errors. It's gonna be ok!

It's good to have it all over with! Did anyone else notice that the phone number on the Printable Guide does not exist? 905-525-9104 doesn't go anywhere, the real number is 905-525-9140!

Had a heart attack last year when I had a glitch. Called the number on the guide and was told it wasn't in service. That was just great.

And they didn't even fix the number this year! Where's the communication over there?

Some thoughts

1) kind of embarrassed about incoherent language--think I wrote "know to better know" somewhere

2) a lot of time i didn't manage to squeeze in a last word

3) what do you guys think is a reasonable amount to write? I type 65-70 wpm but only managed maybe 400-500 char per response

4) For me, casper is a task you CAN practice in terms of fluency with ethics vocabulary, structure of arguments, quickly stating general principles, and relating them to different perspectives for a given issue. It's like a particular style of writing, especially given there is only five minutes to convince someone you can execute casper style

I read half of Doing Right and practiced the given samples and a few "free" scenarios I found on google but am not really confident with the experience...fingers crossed until 2013!

just finished! man that thing was a beast..I almost had no time to think because I had to spit out everything that was in my head quickly to make the time limit. I have no idea how I did because everything just breezed by so quickly and I feel there were many questions I could answer more completely if I had more time but I guess that's how it is for most people. Also it didn't help when I thought of an idea while trying to quickly type another out and then forgetting that idea when I was done typing. All I can do is hope now, I guess:P

All the best for those who are writing today!! Just relax and don't fret over previous videos if you didn't think your answer was good enough. Just move on to the next one!

It's good to have it all over with! Did anyone else notice that the phone number on the Printable Guide does not exist? 905-525-9104 doesn't go anywhere, the real number is 905-525-9140!

Had a heart attack last year when I had a glitch. Called the number on the guide and was told it wasn't in service. That was just great.

And they didn't even fix the number this year! Where's the communication over there?

The number is wrong on the guide. Unfortunately I had a major glitch this year that caused me to end up missing nearly 2 sections, and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to call an incorrect number. So mad.

The fact that you just mentioned that they also had the number wrong last year just makes me even more pissed off right now.

I'm on break now, and OBVIOUSLY one of my mouse buttons (some side button) is like a "back" button... and I accidentally PRESSED IT! After typing in 2 whole answers! It refreshed the page and my beautiful answers were gone. I only had 1 minute left for all 3 questions, so there went the answers, to be replaced by about one sentence each. I'm so sad/mad. :(

Omgg..I feel so bad for you! I think I would've died a little right there but no worries, I'm sure one question won't affect you too much if your other answers are good and having one good sentence is probably better than having 400 words of word vomit which I had for a few question. Let's just all hope for the best!

These comments don't help us 12:30ers in terms of stress :eek:

Haha, chill! People tend to exaggerate. I didn't feel very confident last year, yet I still landed an interview. I would make an active effort to avoid this website before your CASPer.

NOTE THE PHONE NUMBER CHANGE. Correct the number on your guide sheet in case of technical difficulties.

After today, avoid Premed until January's end :D

ya lol the thing is meant to stress you to the point of being able to elicit responses that illustrate your actual character. so some stress is to be expected. you guys are all pretty cool so i'm sure that'll show through lol.

re: if their help number is actually a typo, that's weak. is it actually wrong? lol

anyway, rock it today! (i understand that some have all ready written)

These comments don't help us 12:30ers in terms of stress :eek:

What I thought about before writing the Casper was that it's either I do a good job on it or I don't. Even though it affects my interview chances and is indeed a big deal, there is nothing I can do at this point right before starting and worrying is not going to do anything for me. Just calm down, relax and start the test and do your best. That's the only thing to do. You can freak out afterwards lol.. which I did and posted here but Leon is right, people tend to overexaggerate especially right afterwards (which of course, I naturally did) so keep your hopes high!:)

What I thought about before writing the Casper was that it's either I do a good job on it or I don't. Even though it affects my interview chances and is indeed a big deal' date=' there is nothing I can do at this point right before starting and worrying is not going to do anything for me. Just calm down, relax and start the test and do your best. That's the only thing to do. You can freak out afterwards lol.. which I did and posted here but Leon is right, people tend to overexaggerate especially right afterwards (which of course, I naturally did) so keep your hopes high!:)[/quote']

Of course of course, I was just joking along.

What I thought about before writing the Casper was that it's either I do a good job on it or I don't. Even though it affects my interview chances and is indeed a big deal' date=' there is nothing I can do at this point right before starting and worrying is not going to do anything for me. Just calm down, relax and start the test and do your best. That's the only thing to do. You can freak out afterwards lol.. which I did and posted here but Leon is right, people tend to overexaggerate especially right afterwards (which of course, I naturally did) so keep your hopes high!:)[/quote']

or you guys can listen to some bomb j cole to relax! LOL

Archived