Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Verbal vs. DAT Reading

Guest drbutterwick

Guest drbutterwick

This question is for anyone who has taken both the DAT and the MCAT. I was wondering how the MCAT Verbal compares to DAT Reading Comp. I found all sections of the DAT quite easy except for the verbal section. (Turns out I can't read). I found this section very difficult. Could anyone shed some light on the DATs?

Guest Kicoati

i think that the strategy to tackle both the MCAT VR and DAT reading comprehension is quite similar. Basically you don't worry about memorizing the detail in the passage when you and no need to bother understanding everything, just need to create a map about where the information is located. The DAT reading test is actually a lot easier to handle, since they ask mostly for the detail inside the passage, you can look back and find the exact answers. There is only one or two implication questions. Whereas for the MCAT, it is the reverse.

Guest coolguy3650

That dat reading sections is not too bad, the only problem is time. You have to learn to read fast. A speed reading course/book would be good, but perhaps an overkill. Just practice reading fast and making the previously mentioned maps.

• 1 month later...
Guest Akenney

Hello, I wrote the MCAT and the DAT and I got a 6 on the MCAT reading, and a 23 on the DAT reading... the subject matter of both were very different, and I found that I already knew lots about the information in the DAT so I didn't have to read the passages very carefully, but I found the MCAT reading brutal.

Archived