Premed 101 Forums

Carving Question

Guest Francesco1001

Guest Francesco1001

Does anyone know if the carving section on the test will be a simple derivative of the sample given in the test material (i.e. 90 degree cuts with varying length and thickness) or if there is a chance there may be some other type of anglular cuts or shape?

Guest bad hombre

the actual dat is a lot more complicated than the sample they give you. on mine I had to carve a perfect equilateral triangle on one end (sort of like a key for a triangular key-hole) and a flute end on the other end. hope this helps. remember, don't freak out, fear and anxiety are your worst enemies.

Guest toothy

the university bookstore might have the DAT carving

guide, which has diagrams to give you a better idea

of what kind of shapes they can tell you to make.

Not exactly worth $40 so if you just want a rough

idea it's probably good to give it a quick perusal in

the store instead.

I've took DAT for twice, and the exact same craving pattern: a equailater triangle at one end, and i think with a flute end on the other side.... similar to what bad hombre mentioned. I think the key is try to approx for the best angle measurement and to get some good & clean cut ie. no chipping on the soap. I think the point of this craving is for them to see you can work well with your hand... so don't panic and take your time.... you'll have half an hour to finish... should be enough time. Good Luck

Guest toothy

I took the DAT 3 times, and different (but similar) designs

each time. There was one which was a fluted into a

square instead of a triangle. Not to be an advocate

for the CDA gift shop but it is imperative to have a

good handle on the characteristics of the soap! Chalk

and wax are good substitutes for learning knife skills

but that's about it. Buy their soap if you need practice.

Soap can be flaky, and hard to measure and mark.

Obviously the goal is to shave it fast but not too

hurriedly as to have a large chunk fall out.

All things aside, dental school lab work (even waxing)

is different from soap carving and even if you are not

handy with the soap it doesn't mean you will be bad at

dentistry!

• 1 year later...
Guest Guyver03

Fluted ends are like diagonal cuts, from the body of the soap to the end, which is either going to be a triangle or a square. The notch is like a 90 degree cut, making a triangle or a square "shaft" (don't know another term to describe it). Hope this helps

Guest tottihead

So, just to make sure ive got this, the fluted end(if it were a triangle) is like a pyramid? or is it just like a triangle prism (ie same shape when looking down, like in TFE the top and end view would be a triangle)

Thanks for your help

Guest coolguy3650

As far as the pyramid and square go, does anyone knoe the dimensions for these shapes? I think to make an equalateral triangle, you would have to give the triangle sides of 1.2mm, but that is just a crude estimate. I'm having a tougher time trying to fingure out the measurements for the square. Thanks for any help.

OMG, 1.2mm? How big are these soaps? I was picturing them to be the size of a regular bar of soap; I mean, for the CDA to charge $30 for 6 pieces of soap, I thought they'd be fairly big!

Guest toothy jr

heh, no that is likely a typo. If you have never done the carving you will be relieved to know that the soap is roughly the size and shape of a thick stick of chalk. As for the equilateral triangle, you should be able to figure out the sides with some high school trig given the radius of the cylinder.

Guest coolguy3650

Sorry, I meant 12mm. As far as high school trig goes, I've forgotten all that. Can anyone give me a refresher lesson on how big a square has to be able to be circumscribed by a circle of given radius? If that's too much to ask, does anyone know a site where I can find this info? Thanks.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I believe that they give you the dimensions of the square or triangle that you are supposed to carve. As for the equilateral triangle, I think that the example that I saw had sides that measured 14mm each (I'm pretty sure that they can vary this though). They can give different dimensions for the square as well - it's best to practice doing different measurements.

• 1 month later...
Guest Akenney

The carving on the Nov 03 DAT was only two edges of a triangle (14mm each) and the other side was fluted but not to a square, but a rectangle (it was only cut on two sides) I heard something about a previous year's DAT having a cut which was curved, but it is possible that the person who told me that misunderstood the diagram (they recieved a very low score which makes me believe that that was probably the case)

But has anyone heard of any cuts which were curved?

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I've never ever seen a cut that was curved...

The prep booklet that I used (from IQ publications) had an example where the end was rounded (kind of like a doorknob). I seriously doubt that they would actually use an example like this in a real test situation - it would be much to hard to mark!>:

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi AKenney! I interpreted the diagram same as your friend. Basically, it's a triangle, but they only want you to carve two instead of three sides. at least that's what i did! hope it's right! i havent gotten my score yet!

Archived