Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Advisors

Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to contact either U of C, or other medical schools, to see a medical school advisor (someone that can sit down with you, or talk to you on the phone, and review your marks etc and help you with any of your questions- such as what the best plan of action is if you don't make it in this year) ?

Just curious, because i'm starting to think of a plan B, if i don't get in this year and i just wanted to know what options i had.

Thanks!

While this sounds extremely helpful, the admissions committee at U of C plainly does not have the time or the man power for that kind of individual sit-down with every applicant. There are literally thousands of people who would take them up on an offer like that. The reality is, you're probably not going to get that kind of one-on-one time with a member of an admissions committee.

I used to be part of the SIMS (Students Interested in Medical Science) club at U of C (assuming that's where you're at?) and they used to host a yearly event in September that was sort of a mixer with med students and some extremely kind people from the admissions committee. Perhaps try to ask SIMS to help you out, get connected with a medical student who might have perspective on the strength of your application?

My advice would be, get multiple opinions. Don't annoy anyone, but don't take any one person's opinion as law, because there is no one set path to medicine. Always cultivate a Plan B that you will be happy with career-wise. Do what you like doing, and do it well. That's what the admissions committee at U of C is probably going to tell you anyway.

Good advice, i just had a few questions that i didn't think a typical medical student would really know unless they were on an admissions committee. Maybe you can help?

I've applied to medical schools this year and i am now working for a bit to save up some money to travel. I've already completed my first degree and and starting to think about my plan B's in the event that i don't get in this year. I'm considering going back to school to help boost my GPA to strengthen my chances of getting in when i apply in the upcoming years. One of my questions is, if i pursued a M.Sc. and did my thesis, hypothetically speaking lets say i get an A in each course i take. How does 2 courses in a M.Sc., which would give me a 4.0 for that year, stack up against a 4.0 in a full course undergrad degree? Similarly, if i didn't do a M.Sc. and just pursued an undergrad degree but only took three courses, but still got a 4.0 in those years, how "powerful" would that 4.0 be in comparison to my previous years? Bottom line, i'm going to be at least applying to either do an undergrad degree or M.Sc. in Fall 2013 as a backup, just don't know whether to do a M.Sc. or an undergrad degree. And, if i do an undergrad, do i have to take 5 courses each semester to prove that i can get the marks with a busy time schedule?

First of all, I am only really familiar with U of C's policies, so just a heads up that I'm not up on other processes. As you know U of C is a little different in some respects, so bear that in mind.

One of my questions is, if i pursued a M.Sc. and did my thesis, hypothetically speaking lets say i get an A in each course i take. How does 2 courses in a M.Sc., which would give me a 4.0 for that year, stack up against a 4.0 in a full course undergrad degree?

U of C doesn't include your Master's GPA in the calculation of overall GPA unless you are finished the degree and have the paper in your hand. That being said, doing well in a Master's program would be taken into account in the subjective assessment of academic merit. Now, obviously the subjective assessment is just that - subjective, so no one can really give you inside information on that. The only information we've gotten on that process is that the file reviewer is asked to look for indications that an applicant will be able to successfully handle the coursework in medicine. In my opinion, doing a Master's would also reflect well for your academic /scholarly interest attribute. While doing a year of full time undergrad will help your GPA out while a Master's will not, I believe your application will get more mileage out of starting a Master's. Plus, it's a forward move instead of a lateral one. (unless your GPA is really bad. Then retake some science courses to prove your mettle)

Similarly, if i didn't do a M.Sc. and just pursued an undergrad degree but only took three courses, but still got a 4.0 in those years, how "powerful" would that 4.0 be in comparison to my previous years?

Again, this would not affect your GPA in the calculations. Only full time years (8+ courses from Sept-April) will count toward your GPA calc. But it would positively influence your subjective assessment of academic merit, I would think. A caution, though: if you are going to take more undergrad courses, do not make a transparent attempt to boost your GPA (e.g., retaking courses you did pretty well in the first time (boosting an A- to an A) or taking all first year courses). I believe that would reflect poorly on your academics attribute. It's basically saying, "I'm not interested in learning, I'm interested in getting into medicine." Many medical schools aren't as explicit as U of C in this matter, but I would venture to say that all medical schools want learners, not people who are just jumping through hoops.

Bottom line, i'm going to be at least applying to either do an undergrad degree or M.Sc. in Fall 2013 as a backup, just don't know whether to do a M.Sc. or an undergrad degree. And, if i do an undergrad, do i have to take 5 courses each semester to prove that i can get the marks with a busy time schedule?

I would recommend the Master's. Cultivate an excellent plan B. It will pay off, one way or another.

Archived