Premed 101 Forums

Is spelling important for CASPER?

I made quite a few spelling errors on CASPER. I went into it thinking that the content/ideas were more important than spelling. Not going back to correct my spelling errors (even when I saw the errors I made) helped me write a lot more in the very limited time that we had per question. However, now I am wondering if they will deduct marks for the spelling errors. All of the words I misspelled can be easily understood in context. Random example: Writing ‘my collegues’ instead of ‘my colleagues’.

It’s likely that no one here knows what they ‘really’ look for… however, just wondering what you guys think about this/how you approached this? (i.e. did you correct the spellings for the words you misspelled?)

I don't think they care all that much about spelling. They know everyone is under a time crunch, and having ideas logically communicated is much more important.

Having said that, if the person uses internet slang the whole time (l8er, me2 etc) I could imagine that would look poorly (obviously...:D)

Theoretically no. The instructions at the beginning of CASPer stated:

"...spelling and grammar errors will not be counted in the evaluation of the responses." If you watch the video here http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/casper/demovid/casperdemo.html, you can read this in the instructions (roughly half way through the video).

Of course, with anything subjective, there is a psychological component. Spelling errors tend to reduce one's credibility.

Studies have shown that people who are better spellers are better doctors. Thus, CASPER is actually a spelling test disguised as a personality test.

I did correct spelling and it probably cost me some points (due to lost time). I can't help it, it's just a habit of mine from writing so many essays.

it doesn't hurt your evaluation at all. As long as it is not crazy spelling. But if you use shortcuts like gov't or w/, then expect it to hurt you.

Thanks for the responses!

I find it odd that poor spelling wouldn't hurt your evaluation but abbreviated words would.

What about grammar and complete sentences? I was thinking I could have said a lot more if I just went bullet style.

def. not. They actually want a constructed answer. Have your opening, your answer, conclusion. What they want is not what they always get though.

As a side note, I took the time to spell everything correctly (well, i tried). I program a lot so typing speed was not an issue.

spelling mistakes are fine as long as youre not spelling every word wrong. grammar isn't a big deal as far as i know either. as long as youre able to get your point across i dont think they care how you do it. i made mistakes and i got cut off and everything and it was still fine. they know there's a time limit

Archived