Premed 101 Forums

Course equivalency when applying to other provinces

Premed 100

Hi,

I was in Health Science at Marianopolis and am now in PharmD at UdeM, thinking of applying to other provinces' med schools.

Does any one know if my courses would be considered as prerequisites for other schools (Mostly Ontario schools and U Calgary)?

At Marianopolis, I had CHEM NYA-NYB, Organic CHEM I, BIO NYA-NYB-LCU.

UdeM's courses were mostly about physiology and pharmacotherapy, so I don't think that they would count.

UBC requires 2 Organic courses and 2 Biochem courses so that's out of the question

Thanks!

Rule of thumb, go find out yourself. Just email them and tell them what courses you took and what courses you will take.

In general all Canadian schools accept Cegep bio nya & 2 for 1st year bio credits, chem nya nyb for 1st year general chemistry, organic chem 1 and 2 for 1 year of organic chem (med school might except them but other faculties from the same school might not, makes for a lot of confusion, but usually medical schools are less picky with course content than a dedicated department like chemistry).

Example, a 2 biochem courses doesn't really mean "2 biochemistry courses offered by a biochemistry department" (it is common sense to take 2 biochem courses offered by a biochem dept thought). If you believe you can fulfill a course requirement with other courses (biology, chemistry, etc.), give it a shot, and if it's not in your program, just take it as an elective or ask for a substitution or during the summer (given it might be hard in a PharmD program).

Good luck.

Archived