Premed 101 Forums

Help !

Hello everyone,

Okay , this is my first post on this forum and I hope that I will find the answer for what I have been looking for in ages !

I'm an international medical student (second year) , I'm originally from iraq , but due to the current circumstances in iraq I moved to jordan and I'm currently studying medicine in Jordan university of science and technology.

My family members are planing to immigrate to Canada next year . The problem is that the system in jordan is completely different than in Canada , in jordan we don't have "premed" you simply apply to medicine ( you will be accepted according to your score in the high school) and once you get accepted you are officially considered as a medical student and after completing 6 years ( which is equivalent to 257 credit hours ) you are officially a doctor with a bachelor degree (MBBS).

I know that in my case if I came to Canada I have to start all over again (starting from zero) ,but i have been thinking ,,, what if I finished the three basic sciences years here in jordan and after that I will apply to study medicine in Canada ! My question is : what are they going to consider me ?? I mean are they going to consider these three years as the "premed years" and they will accept me directly in the 4 years of medicine or they will just ignore the whole thing and tell me that I have to do the premed there ??

I know this has been quite long , but I needed to explain my situation in details so I can get the correct answer .

Please help ! and I would really really appreciate it if anyone could tell me what is the best thing to do in my case .

Thanks in advance

Nada.

will accept me directly[/b] in the 4 years of medicine or they will just ignore the whole thing and tell me that I have to do the premed there ??

Hello,

I don't know much about this process so I will let others who do know things help you out but I think I should clarify something for you. If you take the courses there and even do very well in them and come here to Canada you have NO guarantee that you will get in to medical school here. As in, they wont 'accept you directly'. Medical school is really competitive here and some students with EXCELLENT marks and EXCELLENT volunteering experience etc STILL don't get in. So keep that in mind. You could definitely try to apply for Canada but there is NO guarantee that you will get in to medical school here just because you got in somewhere else. Just thought I should clarify that for you :) Good luck!

Archived