Premed 101 Forums

Plan B...C... D....

So now that the interviews are almost over and all we can do is wait... I'm sure we are all facing the notorious "back up plan". Of course if would be great if we all could get in, but what is everyone thinking of doing if not accepted to MUN Med this year? Back to school? Working? Joining the circus? :P

A lot of people do the 1-yr master's diploma in cli cpi/community health, maybe full M.Sc... what are you guys gonna do? It sucks to think about.. but the reality is that many of these programs have deadlines before the April/May 2013 med results. :(

nice! i hear tell of a lot of students beginning a 2-yr MSc with the idea that they can simply apply to med school after their first year and either 1) defer their acceptance if they get in or 2) drop out of the masters. i don't think students realize that both of these options aren't simple or ideal. MUN only grants 2 deferral's every year, obviously because they need to keep people matriculating through the program (so you apply for a deferral, but are also being considered along with other people requesting deferral's for other reasons). so if there's a bunch of students counting on the deferral, most of them will likely not be successful; what does one do then? then of course is the problem with leaving a 2-yr funded masters program after 1 year... not looked upon favourably, especially if you aren't open and honest with your supervisor about your intentions.

it would be great if mun adopted a program like U of Calgary has with their "Leaders in Medicine" joint graduate degree- they actually support and encourage students to pursue both graduate school as well as medical school.

it's a harsh reality as obviously, our goal is to become a physician. thus, hearing about what others are doing other than heading into a 2-yr master's program could really help others who are looking for Plan B's. :)

Hey guys!

Well sounds like you were luckier than I this year. I am a pharmacist in the province, applied but did not hear back so I am assuming not even an interview! My plan is to keep working but I am going to rewrite my MCAT and reapply next year. Unfortunately, this year I was not classified as In-Province, as I have only lived here for two years. Next year will yield better results I'm hoping, since I will be in the IP pool.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you get accepted - and hey if not, good luck in your 'mean-time' endeavours. Just don't ever give up. :)

nice! i hear tell of a lot of students beginning a 2-yr MSc with the idea that they can simply apply to med school after their first year and either 1) defer their acceptance if they get in or 2) drop out of the masters. i don't think students realize that both of these options aren't simple or ideal. MUN only grants 2 deferral's every year, obviously because they need to keep people matriculating through the program (so you apply for a deferral, but are also being considered along with other people requesting deferral's for other reasons). so if there's a bunch of students counting on the deferral, most of them will likely not be successful; what does one do then? then of course is the problem with leaving a 2-yr funded masters program after 1 year... not looked upon favourably, especially if you aren't open and honest with your supervisor about your intentions.

it would be great if mun adopted a program like U of Calgary has with their "Leaders in Medicine" joint graduate degree- they actually support and encourage students to pursue both graduate school as well as medical school.

it's a harsh reality as obviously, our goal is to become a physician. thus, hearing about what others are doing other than heading into a 2-yr master's program could really help others who are looking for Plan B's. :)

Honestly, so many people have applied and successfully got in to MUN after completing only 1 year of a 2 year masters that it would seem that MUN medicine just doesn't care if you leave early.

As for the master's program not looking on it favorably, don't sweat it. Unless you are legally bound by a contract, you owe them nothing. You need to look out for yourself. You are the only person who will do so. If they were going to have a huge issue with you leaving early, then they should have gotten you to sign something legally binding which would compel you to finish your MSc. The fact they didn't do this means they don't really care (despite any protests they might make to the contrary).

• 3 months later...
Honestly, so many people have applied and successfully got in to MUN after completing only 1 year of a 2 year masters that it would seem that MUN medicine just doesn't care if you leave early.

As for the master's program not looking on it favorably, don't sweat it. Unless you are legally bound by a contract, you owe them nothing. You need to look out for yourself. You are the only person who will do so. If they were going to have a huge issue with you leaving early, then they should have gotten you to sign something legally binding which would compel you to finish your MSc. The fact they didn't do this means they don't really care (despite any protests they might make to the contrary).

It's so easy to say that you're not legally bound, and that's true, but it is a huge waste of resources for your supervisor if you leave without doing any solid work. I am referring specifically to thesis-based degrees. I think it speaks as to the type of person you are to be willing to allow someone to invest precious grant money and time into training you, you spend most of your first year doing courses, and then you leave before they get any publishable data. Getting grants, especially today, is extremly competitive and most supervisors are really low on funding. My recommendation would be to NOT start a masters as a means to an end; it will not help your application (I have asked the admissions department directly). However, if you are fully funded (ie, NSERC or CIHR) that's a little different. Just be honest with yor supervisor right from day one!!! Instead, get some work experience working with patients.

Now, that being said, if you truly love research and want to pursue a masters, then do that. But don't be a jerk and quit half way.

I think it speaks volumes as to someones character if they drop out of a 2 year M.Sc. program in order to start med school. Some profs are on lucrative CIHR grants, but many are not. If you jump ship after having only been in the program for only half your allotted time, then they may run into trouble when it comes time to renew a grant. Your first year is spent learning the ropes, and taking courses. Its only when you get into your second year that you tend to get to your truly productive time.

We always speak of ethics in medicine, along with things like discretion and professional judgment. I think (and this is just me personally) that if you sign up for a thesis-based masters, and particularly the funding that comes along with it, you should give it your best effort to finish it up. There are cases where the right thing is beyond our legal and contractual obligations, and I feel strongly that this is one of them. This is my personal opinion, and since it is obviously a subjective topic, I realize that there are people on this thread who have differing views based simply on priorities. These are also valid and legitimate views.

If I had been in a position where I was halfway into a thesis based masters, and had been accepted for medicine but denied a deferral, I honestly dont know which option I would have chose. To avoid this dilemma, I simply didn't apply in that cycle.

I've been accepted into a 2 year MPH with practicum as a plan B (meaning I don't need to consider my plan C of going to college so I can actually get a job I might enjoy), and I plan on completing it and reapplying to med school afterwards! The program actually looks awesome so I'm pretty excited about it - hoping to get some good rural health experience.

No plan B for me! I'm finishing my M. Sc. now so if I don't get in I'll look for a job and go on with my life. I'll probably throw in an application next year. I'm moving back to NL anyways so I'll be close enough that applying and attending the interview won't be a big deal.

Archived