Premed 101 Forums

Self studying

loodogg

For all who self studied (without taking a course), how did you choose which books to use? There is an overwhelming amount and I can't decide what to use

I chose the EK books for the most part because I had heard of a lot of good things about them (provided you have a good background already) and I could find them all for free.. I made my goal to do the MCAT in little time with little money spent haha.

If you are lacking in background knowledge going in, it might be best to choose different books. Also, I have heard that people haven't like the EK physics, so if you chose EK, i'd likely get a different book for the physics. My girlfriend hadn't taken physics and she struggled with the EK book. As have others as far as I have heard.

Might want to check out SN2ed's thread on SDN: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

I personally found that schedule to be pretty crazy and had no intentions of sacrificing nearly that much of my summer and free time to study for one test. However, if you are short on the recommended courses n such, it could really help build your knowledge base before the test.

Archived