Premed 101 Forums

Anyone applying USASK dents?Any OOP?

Guest dentdat

Guest dentdat

Hi,

Anyone applying to USASK dental school this year? Anyone from out of province applying? From Ontario?

Any students currently in the programme could give some advice regarding admissions, interviews, GPA, DAT scores etc...?

How important is the DAT? How would you get an interview? Stats?

Why is tuition so insanely high compared to other Canadian dental schools?

Thanks.

Guest kosmo14

Hey dentdat, while I am not a dental student (I am a 1rst year medical student) here at the UofS, I can probably answer some of you questions. We have quite a few classes in first year with the dents, and therefore I can probably get the answers for you.

UofS dent has 26 positions each year. 15 are reserved for in province the other 11 are for anyone (both oop and out of country). The average entering average over the past few years has been around 84-86%. They generally have more than 200 applicants each year applying for those positions and therefore it is pretty competitive.

As far as the admissions process goes:

Academic record (worth 65% of admission)- This is based on your 2 best FULL academic years, with a recommendation that the field of study be in the life sciences.

DAT (worth 25% of admission)-scores will only be taken from DAT written in the last 3 years. The scores are weighted with reading comprehension worth 50% of your DAT mark, perceptual ability worth 25%, and carving worth 25%.

Interview(worth 10% of admission)- 40 mins

Reference Letters- 3 character letters are required, but don't appear to work into the admissions equation.

As far as tuition I have no idea what happened there. All I know is it is really expensive, but we supposedly have great clinical facilities. I do know that the 15 Saskatchewan residents recieve a scholarship of $18 000 each, therefore it appears the oop people are paying for the facilities.

I hope this helps. If you need any other info. let me know and I will talk to the appropriate people.

Guest bcdentalgirl

I seriously considered applying there since that's where my own dentist/mentor went. He has a lot of good thing to say about it - sounds like an awesome school. Unfortunately, I don't think I qualify since I don't have two 30 credit terms.

Archived