Premed 101 Forums

Chances of getting into OT

I've seen a lot of these threads, but figured I would make one myself as I realize there are a lot of active members on here who are already in OT--- Congrats!!!

I'm applying to UBC, UofA, UWO, Queens, and UofT

My subGPA is 3.78 (now that I finally figured out how to calculate it!), but my cumulative GPA is only 3.22. Also, I am a BC resident. Any current UBC OT folks know the stats for competitive GPA at UBC?

I have various volunteer experience (volunteering in a psych ward for a 3 month university course, participating on 1-1 matches with people with disabilities- I help one girl improve her fitness routine and assist an older lady who suffered from a stroke with her swimming routine)

I have references that know me fairly well, as I spent my entire last year of university doing an honours thesis (research based) with them as supervisors. Plus my volunteer supervisors.

I am wondering how badly my cumulative GPA will affect my chances of getting into Queens?

I've seen a lot of these threads, but figured I would make one myself as I realize there are a lot of active members on here who are already in OT--- Congrats!!!

I'm applying to UBC, UofA, UWO, Queens, and UofT

My subGPA is 3.78 (now that I finally figured out how to calculate it!), but my cumulative GPA is only 3.22. Also, I am a BC resident. Any current UBC OT folks know the stats for competitive GPA at UBC?

I have various volunteer experience (volunteering in a psych ward for a 3 month university course, participating on 1-1 matches with people with disabilities- I help one girl improve her fitness routine and assist an older lady who suffered from a stroke with her swimming routine)

I have references that know me fairly well, as I spent my entire last year of university doing an honours thesis (research based) with them as supervisors. Plus my volunteer supervisors.

I am wondering how badly my cumulative GPA will affect my chances of getting into Queens?

I will say you have a very good shot at getting into an OT program. Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I think if you have over 3.6 you have a VERY good shot at getting into Ontario schools...

For McMaster for example, according to their website the cut-off for an interview for the last 2 years was 3.48. Their websites claims they take the "top 300 or so" applicants for interviews.

So if 3.48+ represents the "top 300" (out of ~800 applying)...then it's safe to say this same group of people are also going to apply to other schools in Ontario. Which means if you have more than 3.48 you are likely in the top 300 or so of people applying (this is what I'm assuming).

And yes, if you google it, I found a forum posting that showed some people getting into Queens with 3.4ish.

UofT's website also claims the average entry was an A- average (3.5-3.7ish). So I think with a 3.6-3.7 GPA you are probably way ahead of most others applying. Don't forget it's not only grades, UofT & Queens also look at your resume, reference letters, essays. So a 3.7 doesn't necessarily mean you will get in automatically.

Now for Western, it's pretty much strictly grades, but for other schools obviously it's hard to predict since they look at other areas of your application. If you have a crappy essay, it won't matter how great your GPA is.

But I really hope everyone on this forum gets in :)

Archived