Premed 101 Forums

DAT Results

Guest bad hombre

Guest bad hombre

I got my DAT results back today. They were all pretty good except for the carving... i only scored in the 55th percentile. It didn't help that they gave me a defective knife that sliced my thumb before even starting.

My question is, I'm pretty sure it won't affect my chances of getting in significantly. However, is it possible to improve one's manual dexterity with practice? Or will I make a lousy dentist? Which would make me consider meds more seriously.

Thanks

Guest toothy

Being very good at carving doesn't necessarily mean natural drilling skills. I know it's all related to manual dexterity but making cavity preps definitely improves with practice.

On the other hand, perception skills are quite important. Did you get 55th percentile despite thinking you made the perfect 3d replica of the spec sheet? If so, I'd be worried, and perhaps lower that confidence level a bit. Drilling out cavities doesn't have a 30 minute time limit (other than to be fast and make money)... take your time! Just gotta recognize when something is going wrong and rectify it.

Congrats on your other good scores!

Guest bad hombre

Thanks for the encouragement toothy!

My PAT score was my best one, so I don't think it had anything to do with that. I think it was the blood all over the soap that did me in :)

Archived