Premed 101 Forums

where to start? Questions.

Guest cali

Dentistry had always been one of my options but I haven't really started thinking about it yet.

I'll probably write the DAT the coming Nov (?). Besides the carving, is my MCAT prep for August adequate for the DAT?

Where can I find more info about each school (i.e. are there forums or website around?)

I've heard that getting into dentistry is just as competitive as med...is this true?

Are all schools as tough to gain admission?

Is the application the same as med? (ie. reference letters, interview, etc?) Different for all schools?

What about shadowing a dentist?

Guest moguy

1) I'll probably write the DAT the coming Nov (?). Besides the carving, is my MCAT prep for August adequate for the DAT?

I took the MCAT and the DAT. I found that I was able to study just the night before the DAT and still was able to get interviews. Whether I get in is another question.

2) Where can I find more info about each school (i.e. are there forums or website around?)

Go do a search on their websites. There isn't much information, however. There doesn't seem to be any student organizations that really explained what's going on. It isn't like meds at all. Maybe I am wrong, can someone verify?

3) I've heard that getting into dentistry is just as competitive as med...is this true?

Not sure.

4) Are all schools as tough to gain admission?

Again, not sure.

5) Is the application the same as med? (ie. reference letters, interview, etc?) Different for all schools?

Toronto and Western don't require reference letters. This was a major reason why I applied to dentistry as a 2nd option plan. I didn't feel like bugging more profs to write me stuff. I think marks are what matters the most. The interview counts, but I don't think that much.

6) What about shadowing a dentist?

Sure, why not?

Guest toothy

hi, I'm doing 1st yr at western.

1) I've heard that the Feb DAT has fewer keeners and may be easier to get a higher mark. That was certainly the case for me, but I had a bad carving and redid it in Nov. If you're not good with perceptual puzzles it might help to get some practice first. For the academic stuff, brush up on intro Zoology and Embryology.

2) If you're a UWO student there's a pre-dental club, but I don't know if they are of any use.

3) The academic requirements are competitive like meds, but probably less emphasis on extracurriculars/personal experiences. If your marks only allow you to apply to Mac Meds, dents may not be a viable option! :)

4) U of T definitely has high academic cutoffs. I am from Ontario, and I noticed most other schools in Canada only have a couple of OOP spots. (However UWO seems to give equal access to all provinces, as my class has 6 OOPs and 4 foreign)

5) U of T also has that annoying essay, be sure to put in lots of time to think about it.

6) Shadowing a dentist is probably not as useful as shadowing a doctor. There's only so much room in the operatory, and the dentist and assistant have got the best spots. If talking to waiting-room patients or wiping chairs appeal to you then perhaps it will be a valuable experience come interview time.

Archived