Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep before Prep

jdr44

Hi all,

How are you?

I am a mature student and I wanted some advice about writing the MCAT for the third time.

I took in once in 2009, once in 2011 and am aiming to take it in the summer of 2013 or early winter 2014 - pending on my school and travel schedules.

Obviously something isn't working with me. I had tried a prep course and without a prep course - I did better with the prep course but I honestly think it's a lack of foundational knowledge.

(I also have a real tendency to choke on test day. I suffer from significant GAD but refuse to let that stop me).

Unfortunately I do NOT have a good grasp of basic mathematics - which is really unfortunate for the MCAT Physical Sciences section (my lowest score). Has anyone or can anyone recommend a way to increase this foundational knowledge?

Any workbooks better than others to get the foundational knowledge down? Should I be taking Grade 11 or 12 Science, Math, Physic courses to help me out?

I might be on a non-trad path - but it's okay ... I am going to get there one day :)

Hi all,

How are you?

I am a mature student and I wanted some advice about writing the MCAT for the third time.

I took in once in 2009, once in 2011 and am aiming to take it in the summer of 2013 or early winter 2014 - pending on my school and travel schedules.

Obviously something isn't working with me. I had tried a prep course and without a prep course - I did better with the prep course but I honestly think it's a lack of foundational knowledge.

(I also have a real tendency to choke on test day. I suffer from significant GAD but refuse to let that stop me).

Unfortunately I do NOT have a good grasp of basic mathematics - which is really unfortunate for the MCAT Physical Sciences section (my lowest score). Has anyone or can anyone recommend a way to increase this foundational knowledge?

Any workbooks better than others to get the foundational knowledge down? Should I be taking Grade 11 or 12 Science, Math, Physic courses to help me out?

I might be on a non-trad path - but it's okay ... I am going to get there one day :)

There is an EK content book that focuses on math and VR (weird combo, I know). I didn't really read the math parts, but maybe they'd be helpful for you?

Hi all,

How are you?

Good that you are keeping with your dreams.

One thing you may wish to consider is taking this as it works wonderfully for GAD:

http://amzn.to/148lr35

You should use this to help with your GAD and keep it under control because it seems like that is what is keeping you from reaching your truest potential. If it's affecting you on game day, you should definitely consider looking into it.

For foundational review, if you haven't taken the Princeton course, these are excellent:

http://amzn.to/WUTaqr

http://amzn.to/UkFMPD

http://amzn.to/10IzkWD

The Bio book is better than TBR's. A lot of people have complained about TBR Bio.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your wonderful advice Pasta Inhaler -

If I HAVE taken TPR back in 2009 - is it still illadvised to study from the same material?

Have you heard any positive reviews about the Prep 101 course?

I am really debating as to whether or not I should take another course. It's been a long time now - so I am just wondering how to approach it again.

The thought of failing yet again is quite daunting!

Thanks for your wonderful advice Pasta Inhaler -

If I HAVE taken TPR back in 2009 - is it still illadvised to study from the same material?

Have you heard any positive reviews about the Prep 101 course?

I am really debating as to whether or not I should take another course. It's been a long time now - so I am just wondering how to approach it again.

The thought of failing yet again is quite daunting!

TPR is good, it's even better the second time around, lol, lol, lol.

I've taken two Prep101 courses many moons ago, but they weren't for the MCAT. One of them was terrible, the other was good. It depended on the quality of the instructor. I have read that most of the instructors for Prep101 are good.

Don't worry about failing. If you go over your materials well and do a lot of practice, there is absolutely no chance you will score less than a 31. The odds are now stacked in your favour.

Archived