Premed 101 Forums

Any chances of getting into med school? :S

zara20051

I'm currently studying at Brebeuf and just got my final R score, 34.1 (global r score of 3 sessions)

and now I can't stop thinking of the applications, etc...

I feel like so many people in Quebec have R scores of 36, 37, 38 and all of them seem to want to get into med school :S

The level of competition is absurd and I really want to get into med school this year, my dream would be to get into MED-P in McGill but it just seems...IMPOSSIBLE...

I guess it would be okay if I got into the francos (Sherby, UdeM, Laval) but I don't even know if my 34.1 would be enough to get in,

Any advice??

With 34.1 you will be automatically invited to interview at every of the three French-speaking med school, so if you do well at the MMI it's pretty much in the bag.

For McGill, I won't lie, your R-score is definitely under average (35.5), so there is a (decent) probability that they will not even consider you for an interview, BUT if you have very strong extracurriculars it could improve your chances greatly there.

You can definitely get somewhere with that R-score, do not worry.

Getting invited to the interview at McGill is all about your abstracts (personal narrative and CV) to be honest. I never go the impression that they weighted the grades very high. I know many people with obscenely high R scores that did not get an interview, and I know of even more people that had lower r scores (too low to get an interview at the french schools) that were invited to the McGill one. I spoke to atleast 3 people before my interview that had an r score "too low" for french schools.

Archived