Premed 101 Forums

East vs. West

Guest predent2003

Guest predent2003

Hi guys,

I have an interesting question :D (at least I think it is!), could anyone come up with an explanation to why students from the East seem to have higher GPA than students from the west?

By reading past posts, I am having a feeling that students from Western or UofT would easily have gpa of 4.0 or at least 3.8+. Is it due to difference in calculation? or because schools are easier in the East? (just kidding:p ) or you guys are simply smarter?:o

Do you guys use the UofT gpa scale to calculate your average? Can some of you out there justify my question? Would it be possible to tell us your or examples of gpa's with a percentage average? (That brings up the question of gpa vs. percentage...)

I am asking this is because I have quite a few fellow students who want to apply next year, but am confused as to what gpa is competitive since ubc uses percentage.

Thanks guys!

Those smart people in the east are originally from the west. :b That's where all the government money is going, so people emigrate there and then come back to the west once they finish what they need to finish... :D

Guest LestatZinnie

from what i've observed in my med/dent class, people from the east (esp. UT) all work very, very hard. certainly a lot harder than people i knew from ubc. it's the general impression that toronto is a fast-paced, cut-throat city while vancouver is more relaxed. even my former profs at ubc says that ubc grad students on avg take longer to finish their thesis/degree than those at other schools.

Guest Pearly Whites

I noticed that when I calculated my UBC percentages to the GPA system at U of T, my GPA dropped, because for some grades (in the B range), UBC requires a higher percentage.

Guest byjude

It could be because a lot of pre-dental students go through university with the vague medical aspiration and don't focus in on dentistry until later in (say, 4th year). In Ontario, medical school GPA requirements are significantly higher than other provinces because there is no preferential treatment to local applicants (as opposed to the policies of all other med schools).

So, an Ontario resident interested in applying to something in the medical realm has to keep up a higher average. Thus when they apply to dentistry, these higher averages could just be residual from a strategy geared towards med school admission.

I doubt it's easier to get a high mark at U of T or Western (though I've never attended those schools, so I can't say for sure). It could just be a different academic culture, different expectations for the future, etc.

Guest nanoarray

I did a bit of grade conversion for our class. I found out the entrance class average for UofA 2007 is 3.9 out of 4.0. Can this be real? Or, is it the conversion different at UofA?

Guest nanoarray
If that's true, U of A is full of _ _ _ _ _.
Elite. :b

I know people in our class who got into med but declined the offers. One even declined UofA medicine before knowing the acceptance by UofA dentistry. Maybe I heard it wrong...I'm getting old. :b

Guest apical meristems

Hey there,

It might also be due to population density. Much of Canada’s population dwells in the East. We’re still colonies out here in the West ;) .

I have summarized this natural phenomenon with a simple formula:

more people = more competition = higher GPAs

Bumble Bee Horraahh,

apical

Guest yukontim

I agree with the population explanation. Having been to universities on both sides, I've seen the more intense competition in the east. People guard their class notes and will not even share with their friends. Which brings up a question: What is the atmosphere of dental classes in different universities? Is it collaborative or competitive?

Guest depump

hey bbb, is that a philosophical question about what is karma....b/c karma has never existed in our faculty of science? :)

Karma....probably best explained by the new Coke ad with the guys playing a football game.

Yea....but anyways, been wondering about that too. It seems, from my experience with my undergrad career, there's some pretty sneaky people out there b/c they think high competition means more nasty strategies to get to the top. I've taken classes where research articles for our term papers have been hidden or cut out of books. :(

-depump

It's not a philosophical question. I just don't know what it is. Only yukontim can tell us.... Or, yukontim = karma?

research articles for our term papers have been hidden or cut out of books.
Books have been hidden...yeah, that came across my mind a few times too, but usually I thought it could be that someone got it ahead of me and was reading it somewhere in the library. But...pages cut out of books???!!! This is insane.... In this case, I would bring that book to the front desk and request an interlibrary loan to get the book from other libraries. Or, check the local libraries first.

Which school are you from? I would love to know. :b

Guest depump

Hey.....yukontim eh? Never heard...sorry. But yea, karma, it's like the saying....what goes around comes around. Or....the golden rule.

I'm from U of C BBB, so the east coast does have a lot of competitive students too. Yea...I think it's pretty legite to take out books quickly and in huge volumes so you have access to them, but I've had a lot of times where particular books that were "checked in" were not at the shelf. If anyone is from U of C, you know how books taken out can be recalled to be checked out by someone else so perpetual loaning can not work. =)

Oh well.....different people in this world. :(

Guest depump

Hey....while i'm ranting on, and it seems like the perfect topic East vs. West, anyone have there story of students being bad sports at other schools? Or is it just me feeling insane competition....? :rollin

-depump

Guest yukontim

karma is a vague term. it implies being kind to people, and what goes around comes around

Bad sports - I think biology is the worst faculty for this. Since I've switched in, I've had people steal final lab report diagrams and slides, cheat on exams, "friends" not share their notes... very cut-throat. Anyone know if dental school is like this, or do people relax once they're in?

People are cut-throat, but much less.... People can't change their addicted habits overnight. |I They get used to being the top in the undergrad, but....eventually that will subside in senior years where people are just stressed out, desensitized by the school work and don't care any more.

It's like heart failure......initially, the heart responds by hypertrophy, making its muscles bigger, trying hard to overcome pressure/force/wall stress (just like the junior year students)......then the heart gets tired and responds by dilation to accommodate extra volume (just like the senior year students who will take whatever assignments/tests given to them).....fun story, eh? :b

Guest LestatZinnie

those people who are selfish and cut-throat will remain so even after they get in. Afterall, they'll still want to get rid off everyone in their way so they can get high ranking and get on dean's list, specialization, etc. As long as there is any sort of distinction system, be it ranking or grades, people will go crazy over it. sad really. get a life.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

And that's exactly why they call it Karma. Yeah, there was lots of "cut-throat" people like that in my undergrad at UBC. But I just kind of laughed at them because they were so stressed out and focussed on getting "the highest mark" that they ended up missing the whole point of school - to actually LEARN something (what a concept, I know).

In the end it all evens out. When those people get into the real world, their "marks" may get them through a door or two, but will they really be able to excel after having missed out on so much? :\

• 2 weeks later...
Guest apical meristems

On the contrary, Alberta and BC are two of only three provinces in Canada that are not in the red. Rather than OWNING, I consider it more relying :P .

Proud to be Canadian,

apical

Archived