Premed 101 Forums

livin in the ghetto...

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience living in the McGill ghetto area. I ended up finding an apartment there and now I'm hearing some bad things about the area (too loud, too many students).

I'm all worried that i'm not going to be able to get any sleep!

Guest nanoarray

Don't let your neighbours know you're a student. If they do, your voice might not be heard. If they don't, then you can complain, complain, complain,.....and complain until they (are forced to) move out. :b

Guest gonzo23

Hey!

I worked in Montreal for 8-months and lived in the McGill ghetto (Durocher St.). It's not so bad... the area has the feel of a student area. I lived in an apartment complex with a few students in the building but I was never bothered by really loud parties or anything. I think it's just a reputation... and to a certain extent it is nice b/c if you walk around you see a lot of students. But it's not keg party insanity or anything.

Hi pearlywhitesbc,

I lived there for 3 years, and I have to tell you my experience was great. Some of the best times of my life actually. It does not get as loud as people say it is and I think you get used to the distant noise outside on Friday nights and weekends after a couple of months. You might think that as a minus but I consider it one of the qualities that distinguishes the area from others and as a student you appreciate the student-friendly feel of the neighbourhood. I am sure you will enjoy it especially if it is your first time there. On the other hand the pluses outweigh the minus. Close to restaurants, shops, groceries, movie theatre (du Parc, used to dig this place), and a nice stroll down to shopping malls on St. Catherine, ghetto is actually one of the best places to live in downtown Montreal.

Sorry to digress but I was wondering...do you mind giving me the exact link to the pdf or html page of the CSL loan application? I had it before but I lost it and I can't find it anymore! I know I am really late in applying but I have been so busy with my thesis (which I submitted finally!). Also, what is the certificate of eligibility they are talking about that's required in the loan application?? Thanks in advance!

Guest pearlywhitesBC

OK - I feel much better now. I was pretty sure that it couldn't have been that bad but I had done a quick google search and found this article about some residents of the ghetto that were all pissy because they said there were too many loud students at the beginning of the school year. I guess things might seem a bit worse if you're NOT a student and it's your permanent home - it's not something that I would want to be dealing with year after year!

WK- if I'm correct you are from Ontario right? Ontario gives student loans that are integrated with the federal student loans so you only have to apply for one loan (and repay one loan). I'm from BC so I actually got two loans (one from BC, one from the federal government - but I only had to fill out one application).

You can apply for the Ontario student loan at the OSAP website:

/osap.gov.on.ca/cgi-bin/l...05+osp+eng

I didn't see anything about the certificate of eligibility thing but I didn't log in to the website....so I can't help you there.

If you are from BC (sorry for being forgetful!), you can apply for a loan at:

/www.bcsaponline.gov.bc.c...meId=31361

Let me know if you have any more questions - hope that answers your question!

Oh, and if there are any McGill students reading this DON'T forget to register the registration course (CRN = 3526) between August 3rd and August 10th - if you don't you could have a big problem!

hey pearly,

Just wondering how long it took for McGill to send in Appendix 3 to the application office...Does McGill snail mail to BCSAP, or electronically? How long did McGill take to submit it to BCSAP for you? Just curious cause I just started this loan application process (never done this b4) and don't know what to expect and how long this whole thing takes to do.

WK

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hey WK,

it took McGill a couple of weeks to send in the Appendix 3 - but the reason it took them so long in my case was because the school hadn't released info on our program that the office needed to complete the Appendix 3. I emailed them after about 5 days just to ask and they said that they would fill it out as soon as the info was released. I think it went through about a week or two later.

They will email you when it has been completed. If you don't hear anything after about a week I would call/email them just to make sure!

Thanks pearlywbc,

I submitted the online application last night and got the email saying McGill submitted it today. That was a relief. :) So I guess all we can do is wait 7 weeks. Ah well.

Archived