Premed 101 Forums

Pre-reqs?

Guest UT03

Hey,

Just wondering...do dental schools count the pre-reqs when calculating your GPA? Even if those pre-reqs aren't in your top 2/3 years? I'm only going into second year but I didn't do very well in first year chem. Should I upgrade just to be on the safe side? :\

Hey, some schools have a seperate preq gpa, others only take your best 2 or 3 years so it depends on the school. If you didn't do well in first year chem you might not have to do another chem if your other scores are good, but for sure it would help to do a higher level chem. From your screen name it looks like your a UofT, I didn't apply there so don't know anything about preq's they take. At Western and Sask they don't look at your preq's, only your best two years, and at Alberta and Manitoba you have a seperate preq gpa along with cumulative. (Just to add to this, you must have some required courses finished in all these schools even if they don't use it in the gpa calculation. ie: at sask you need to have a higher level bcem to be able to apply to sask, even if your intro bcem is your best mark)

hope that helps,

epzi

Archived