Premed 101 Forums

AAMC GPA Conversion for Canadians

vpv

Hello,

I am trying to convert my GPA based on the AAMC grade conversion guide found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

I am using the "Canadian" Applicant conversion although I am confused about one thing. There seem to be four different ways to apply the AMCAS weight based on what the mark in a specific course is (for ex, if someone got an 84 in a course, they would be able to use the conversion and assign a weight of 3.7 or use the second conversion and assign a weight of 4.0).

My question is, which one are we suppose to be using on applications? Why are there 4 different AMCAS weighing systems for Canadians? Which one should I be using?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Check your schools transcript and see what ranking matches AAMC's

Where can we find this info? I'm a Queen's grad.

I'm in a similar situation where if I apply the AMCAS Cdn 2nd scale (84-100 = 4.0) then I'm looking at a 3.78 GPA. Meanwhile, with the 3rd scale (87-100 = 4.0), my GPA would be 3.65- An application changing difference indeed.

I found it was easier and more accurate to use whatever grading system matched my school's, rather than what was in the Canadian section of that file. For example, at uOttawa we had A+/A/A-, B+/B, C+/C, D+/D, so I looked for a scale that used that grading model and calculated my marks using that and it worked out to be pretty accurate for what they say my GPA is.

I found it was easier and more accurate to use whatever grading system matched my school's, rather than what was in the Canadian section of that file. For example, at uOttawa we had A+/A/A-, B+/B, C+/C, D+/D, so I looked for a scale that used that grading model and calculated my marks using that and it worked out to be pretty accurate for what they say my GPA is.

Right. I understand that, but at Queen's, we had percentages and if I were to match the marks to one of the "percent scales" for AMCAS, I'd be looking at a horrid GPA (80s converting to 3.0)- which doesn't really make sense. I wonder if there is anyway to confirm my GPA through AMCAS without committing to apply just yet. Do you know if that's possible?

Thanks for the help by the way. Greatly appreciated.

Right. I understand that, but at Queen's, we had percentages and if I were to match the marks to one of the "percent scales" for AMCAS, I'd be looking at a horrid GPA (80s converting to 3.0)- which doesn't really make sense. I wonder if there is anyway to confirm my GPA through AMCAS without committing to apply just yet. Do you know if that's possible?

Thanks for the help by the way. Greatly appreciated.

There's no way to get your GPA before they process the application. There is a thread on this forum though about GPA scales for Canadian schools were someone posted the one for Queen's since the grade scale doesn't quite line up with anything from AMCAS.

Link: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901

Queens University

80 and up = A = 4.0

FOR < 80:

Scale 1*

65-79 = B = 3.0

50-64 = C = 2.0

OR

Scale 2*

70-79 = B = 3.0

60-69 = C = 2.0

*Scale 1 and 2, I cannot differenciate, the guy applying didnt have a mark under 70. Sorry, but 80+ is a 4.0 at Queens according to AMCAS. I think they probably used Scale 1 though, since Queens themselves use that scale also.

There's no way to get your GPA before they process the application. There is a thread on this forum though about GPA scales for Canadian schools were someone posted the one for Queen's since the grade scale doesn't quite line up with anything from AMCAS.

Link: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901

Queens University

80 and up = A = 4.0

FOR < 80:

Scale 1*

65-79 = B = 3.0

50-64 = C = 2.0

OR

Scale 2*

70-79 = B = 3.0

60-69 = C = 2.0

*Scale 1 and 2, I cannot differenciate, the guy applying didnt have a mark under 70. Sorry, but 80+ is a 4.0 at Queens according to AMCAS. I think they probably used Scale 1 though, since Queens themselves use that scale also.

I saw that scale too, but is it legit? It was from 2007 and i'm pretty sure AMCAS has a newer grading scale for Canadian schools...?

Even though AMCAS has posted newer grade conversion guides?

Not saying its 100% accurate, and seeing as we don't have the old and the new ones to compare its hard to say what the changes are (if there have been any). But I think it's still a reasonable guide since there isn't any other solid information except other guesses.

Alternatively, you could use Queens' guide for converting their percentages to letter grades and then use the letter grading small to convert instead. I'm not familiar with how the grading works at Queens, but this looks like it would work since there is a letter scale that lines up with the one I found for Queens.

• 3 months later...

Archived