Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Score Reporting Question

pkyee

After my lack of success for Canadian schools this cycle, I wanted to give American schools serious consideration. I had written the MCAT on Aug 2011 with a score of 34Q (13PS/10VR/11BS). I have scheduled to rewrite (in hopes of higher VR for Canadian schools mainly) on June 20.

I understand that an earlier application of AMCAS is better, and I feel that my score is okay for some of the schools. If possible, I would like my primary application to be viewed with my old score in case my new one is no good. If my understanding is correct, if I submit on June 20 (after writing my MCAT), I would not have to check the box that I will be writing the MCAT after submission. Would they process my primary application with my old score instead of waiting for my new score? Thanks!

Even if you don't have to check the box, it will still register on your application that you're awaiting a score. Not 100% sure how that would affect your processing time, but if it went to the schools many would probably wait to see your new score anyway before making any decisions

once you put re-write

your application does not get looked at until your scores come out....delaying you

if you CANNOT get in with those scores for canada...id then go to US

With that mcat (dunno about gpa)you will get better opportunities and BETTER schools vs the canadian counterparts

Depending on the schools, even a better education

I adore the case western college program. Do we have anyone here that got into it? I think only one person from queens got into it last year.

Sry about asking questions in your thread.

Do you all recommend having all the personal statement and letters done and submit in June but tick the mcat rewrite? Or just submit the amcas app after the rewrite?

EC are just bs...

like i said, with those stats if you cannot get in (or at least an interview)-- i wouldnt bother wasting 1-2 years to

make a perfect application more perfect?!!??!

makes no sense...

in the end

they'll probably even tell u to do a masters..spend 2-3 yrs wasting ur time, then theyll be like ohh, you had 0 publications

* what im trying to say is...you dont have a 3.65 --for example- as their is room for improvement

if you cannot get in with those stats...id jump ship

MSU CHM does accept Canadians but not internationals. A lot of schools in Michigan make a distinction between Canadians and internationals it seems:

Canadian Citizen Admission

Q: I am a Canadian citizen. Do I have a chance of being admitted to CHM?

A: Yes, Canadian citizens are considered non-Michigan residents by the Committee on Admissions for purposes of admission. However, with the significant increase in the number of applications received, as well as giving preference to in-state applicants, you would need to be an exceptional applicant who would enhance the school, class, or profession.

A competitive Canadian citizen should fit CHM's mission. A major emphasis of the mission is to educate physicians who desire to become excellent, compassionate primary care physicians who are dedicated to lifelong learning and are willing to work with the underserved in rural or inner city areas within Michigan. Applicants need to have demonstrated their passion for medicine with a history of community service and clinical experience. Competitive Canadian citizens should have MCAT scores of 9-10 (O-P) or higher in each category as well as a cumulative science GPA of 3.50 or better.

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/faq/pages/nonresident_faq.php

Archived