Premed 101 Forums

Dent and MD?

Guest Gohan DBZ

Guest Gohan DBZ

Hi, can anyone tell me if this rumor is true. I heard that once you finish your Dent program you are able to get into the MD program.

Thanks

Guest toothy jr

do a 6 year oral surg program after obtaining a DDS to become a DDS/MD. You can then be something like a ENT surgeon but more concerned with dental occlusion.

Guest Kicoati

Where did you hear that rumor from?

Never knew anything like that, not in Canada anyway.

Well, actually I should say you can apply to MD program after dents, but there would be no automatic admission.

The only thing close the what you said that I have come across is (as already mentioned) that in some dental specialty training programs, there is a requirement to do hospital rotations, after which the trainees are granted an MD title in addition to DDS/DMD. However, it is different from the regular MD program.

Guest toothy jr

www.dentistry.dal.ca/Prog...ption.html

The program at dal is for DDS/DMD graduates, involving 4 years of specialty training/rotations similar to the non-MD streams at other schools like U of T, but the student also attends 2 years of medical school which adds up to 6 years in total. One of our oral surg profs here did exactly that, and discussed his schooling in detail at one of the CDA/ODA gatherings last year.

Guest twistedbrain

That's a very interesting graduate studies they have at Dalhouise. However, correct me if I'm wrong, that's another 6 additionally year on top of the 4 years for DDS/DMD. For some of us who already have a 4yrs degree. That's a total of 14 yrs in school, which is kinda long... (in my opinion).

Gohan,

like kicoati say, there are no automatic admission if one decided to apply to med school after getting their DDS. I suppose one can follow toothy_jr's way in achieving that goal by goin' to grad studies at Dal.

However, wouldn't it be simplier and finanically sounded if one would just apply to med school directly instead going via the whole DDS program for another four extra years, not to mention that the tuition fees for dentistry is more expensive than medicine, that requires a lot of $$$.

But in the end, the decision is yours, right?

Guest toothy jr

Getting an MD through oral surgery is not a suggested path for someone who never wanted to be a dentist in the first place. You will need to make connections with profs, and finish near the top of the class. As far as "backup careers" go, it's far more common for people to apply to med school after completing a pharmacy degree.

Guest reena98765

Hi

Does anyone know what the process is for getting into a 6 year OMFS residency in Canada? I know most US schools state that students must graduate in the top 10% of their class (meaning a student would need to be one of the top 6 students if attending U of T) and score in over the 90th percentile on the NBDE. Does anyone know if its as competitive to get into OMFS in Canada (U of T or McGill)? Since we dont write the different steps of the NBDE in Canada, what is looked at? Class ranking and reference letters?

Thanks.

Guest Kicoati

It is extremely difficult in Canada. Being top 10% in class and score high on board exams are required. In addition, when I talked to the director of OMFS at UofT he mentioned they highly prefer someone with background in hospital dentistry, ie have completed a GPR. The OMFS program itself (after GPR) is 5+ years depending on whether you want to come out with a MSc or PhD (ie research is a requirement). Also it would be to your advantage to associate with the profs in the admission process so they know who you are.

UofT accepts 1-2 candidates per year and I believe McGill 1.

If someone is interested in medicine, to me it seems like the chances are better to apply to the regular MD program rather than to go through the OMFS route (and this way they would limit themselves to this particular specialty from the beginning).

Guest reena98765

hi

Thanks Kicoatie.

Do you know if orthodontics is as difficult to get into as OMFS?

Also, does anyone if its an easier to get into OMFS in the US? Do we have to write the NBDE steps to get into a residency in the US, even though its not a requirement in Canada?

Thanks.

Archived