Premed 101 Forums

u of c gpa calculation

Hey guys,

I'm not really clear on what u of c uses for GPA calculation, as in what counts for full time or part time. If I had

1st yr - 4.5 credits (9 courses): 3.0

2nd yr - 5.0 credits (10 course): 3.75

3rd yr - 5.0 credits (10 course): 3.97

Which years will be used to calculate my GPA? Will my first year be dropped because it's not full time? Or does it count full time and it will be dropped regardless because I have more than two full time years? Or do all three of my years count for some reason I have missed?

Thanks!

This is incorrect, they do not take the last two years. They take all full time years, but drop the year with the lowest GPA for most applicants. All three years are full course loads according to U of C, and KS92 did not specify if he or she will be graduating this year. A year is only dropped if the applicant has graduated or will be graduating this year. It seems as though you have not applied this cycle, and next cycle that 3.0 year will be dropped only if you are graduating, and you do better than 3.0 in your current year of study.

If you have not graduated your GPA would be:

[3.0 + 3.75 + 3.97]/3 = 3.57

I think this is correct, I can't remember if full time years with a lower number of courses are weighted differently, in any case you took 9 courses so it would not be very significantly affected. A full time course year is 8 or more courses a year, excluding summer courses.

Source (Page 7): http://wcmprod2.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%202012-13%20August%201%20Update_0.pdf

This is incorrect, they do not take the last two years. They take all full time years, but drop the year with the lowest GPA for most applicants. All three years are full course loads according to U of C, and KS92 did not specify if he or she will be graduating this year. A year is only dropped if the applicant has graduated or will be graduating this year. It seems as though you have not applied this cycle, and next cycle that 3.0 year will be dropped only if you are graduating, and you do better than 3.0 in your current year of study.

If you have not graduated your GPA would be:

[3.0 + 3.75 + 3.97]/3 = 3.57

I think this is correct, I can't remember if full time years with a lower number of courses are weighted differently, in any case you took 9 courses so it would not be very significantly affected. A full time course year is 8 or more courses a year, excluding summer courses.

Source (Page 7): http://wcmprod2.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%202012-13%20August%201%20Update_0.pdf

Ok - did you read your own source?

This applicants first year was 9 courses (not full time - 10 courses)

Since they would be applying in their 4th year they drop their first year of studies.

I know this is true because this is how my application workes this year

I had 3.96 in year 2 and 4.0 in year 3 for an application gpa of 3.98

ALL three of my years were full time study

10 course, 10 courses, 12 courses

What I posted is correct man, sorry about this confusion

Ok - did you read your own source?

This applicants first year was 9 courses (not full time - 10 courses)

Since they would be applying in their 4th year they drop their first year of studies.

I know this is true because this is how my application workes this year

I had 3.96 in year 2 and 4.0 in year 3 for an application gpa of 3.98

ALL three of my years were full time study

10 course, 10 courses, 12 courses

What I posted is correct man, sorry about this confusion

I don't think you read the applicant manual carefully. Here are the relevant quotes:

"In order for an academic year to be considered full time, applicants are required to complete at least 24 credits from September through April" - U of C courses are 3.0 credits per course, therefore a full time year is 8 courses, not 10 (I go to U of C). To reiterate, a full time year is anything with 8 or more courses, not 10 as BAMFtastic stated

"Those applicants who have more than two full time years at the time of application and who have already or will be graduating from their undergraduate degree in the current academic year will have their worst academic year GPA dropped from their GPA calculation" - That means that they do not take you two most recent years, they drop the worst year, different things.

As I said, KS92 is going into fourth year, but didn't specify that he would be graduating, which is the stated stipulation for dropping your worst academic year. If he is graduating, a year will be dropped, if not, my calculation stands.

I also applied this year, and have a year with 8 courses, it is included in the calculation I can assure you.

If you are applying for next cycle your first year will be dropped so long as you don't have a worse year in fourth year. For example if your GPA this year turned out to be 2.50 for some reason your first year would not be dropped, but your fourth year would be.

Given the trend of your GPA that seems unlikely though, so you should be safe to drop that first year in your calculations.

Archived