Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for practising soap carving

Guest KJ

What is suggested as the best way to practise soap carving BEFORE actually practising on soap from the CDA?

I've heard of people using sidewalk chalk, chalkboard chalk, candles? Which of these materials is best for a beginner to practise with?

Thanks!

Guest jughead09

Well, I never actually practiced on any other soap except the official one. However, I think a regular bar of soap is closer to the waxy consistancy of the CDA soap. I think chalk is too flaky. My suggestion is that you practice on the CDA soap. Yeah, it costs money to order it, but you are better off conditioning yourself to carve the same medium you will have to carve on the DAT.

My carving score was my highest on the DAT (29) because I practiced, practiced practiced on the CDA soap. ANd surpisingly, I didn't use that many soaps. First off, I always kept one soap aside as my practice piece. That is, I used it to practive various techniques like smoothing out edges, creating 90' angles ect. I kept coming back to that soap to sharpen my skills. Eventually, it got so small I had to chuck it. But it saves money by using one soap to practice the little techniques. Then, with my other soaps, I would actually time myself and practice old tests (if you can get old carving tests from previous DATS, or if you take a prep course you will see what I am talking about). Now, with these soaps that I used as mock tests, I always went back to them and reused them, like if there was a smooth surface that was uncarved, I would practice making notches or flat planes.

Bottom line, practice your carving skills consistantly a couple of weeks (maybe more, depending on how challenged you are in this skill) b/f the DAT and I would recommend that you use CDA soap. Hope this helps.:D

Guest LestatZinnie

use ONLY CDA soaps and if possible try to have a tutor or someone who knows what they're doing grade your work.

Guest twistedbrain

I try practicing on chalk before using the CDA soap. The chalk is more rigid and easier to chip off compare to soap and it is harder to draw on the surface esp. when using a pencil(without smearing the mark, so use latex/nitrile gloves). But once i get used to the chalk, I can carve the soap with no problem. The chalks are definitely a cheaper alternative and good to experiment with before you start practicing with the six pack by CDA.

Guest Kicoati

If you want to save some money, try to get some used practice soaps from others and reuse them as jughead had suggested to refine your techniques - that's what I did.

However, one thing to beware about old soaps (even for the new ones you ordered for yourself that have been sitting for too long) is that they get flaky when they dry. Whereas the fresh ones you get on the test are waxy and requires slightly more force to carve (for me anyway). And if you are used to carving the flaky ones you may have a bit trouble in the real test (like me :( )

So another suggestion is may be you can spread your soap orders over time and get a few closer to the test date, so that you have fresh ones for final practice, instead of getting one mass order in way before hand.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. You all mention that the soap is "waxy"...so what about using candle sticks? I've ordered my soaps from CDA but haven't received them yet, so I don't know if the texture is similar to candle sticks or not.

Thanks again.

Guest jughead09

go ahead and try the candle thing. But I still suggest that you train yourself on the CDA. I remember when I was carving last year and I ordered a box of soap from the CDA and they sent me this very chalky, light green soap. Well, I practiced on all 6 and felt that I aquired the necessary skill to carve but....then I ordered another box and they sent me soap with a more waxy consistancy!!! I sucked. I had to change my technique to accomidate the change slight change in the soap. So.....go ahead and try the candle thing while you wait for the CDA soap, but once you start on CDA, stick with it. Just an opinion, others may have found a change in medium alright. Try it out. Also, the CDA sends you a carving tool..do you already have it? It's a good idea to get used to that as well.:hat

Guest nanoarray

Try many chalks and a few soaps first to get used to holding blade, position, technique, texture, etc., and then do only soaps during the week before DAT.

Guest jughead09

I think waiting the week b/f the DAT to practice on CDA soap is not the best idea! Although it may have worked for some people, I find that practicing on the CDA soap from the get-go is the way to get a good carving score:)

Archived