Premed 101 Forums

MSC Medical MMI book

I borrowed it from the library and found it to useful. It had some good examples of sample answers.

However, the methods they use - as someone mentioned above - lack any sort of creativity and you'll probably want to add some personal touches.

I'm reading through it now in preparation for the MMI and find it pretty helpful. Especially with the communication stations and the many, many scenarios that are provided. I haven't used the DVD yet though.

About the robot thing - yes, there is a methodical approach they use. I think it's possible to humanize it though as long as you feel natural using it.

• 1 month later...

For those who ordered the book and dvd from the msc medical website, how long did it take you to receive your order? Did you receive a confirmation email saying your order was shipped? I placed an order last wednesday and so far have heard nothing or received my package yet.

For those who ordered the book and dvd from the msc medical website, how long did it take you to receive your order? Did you receive a confirmation email saying your order was shipped? I placed an order last wednesday and so far have heard nothing or received my package yet.

For me it was about 1.5 weeks. This was back in February.

The DVD wasn't very helpful. The "good" examples they gave seemed fairly average. The "bad" examples looked like they had no interpersonal contact (except a Wilson volleyball) for months prior. They could have done a much better job on this (e.g. real-time, step-by-step analysis, common mistakes, etc.).

The good thing about the package is the sheer number of examples you will get from it. No other source I found had as many practice stations.

I like to prepare and over prepare as I am in general a nervous individual. Confidence going into the MMIs was very important to me. I didn't think much of the DVD but I really appreciated the sheer number of cases. It is formulaic, I kind of adopted their formula and personalized it. The formulaic nature helped me sort through the scenario before entering the room and helped me with organizing the first 2 minutes of each mini interview, the rest was based on prompts (I felt one interviewer managed to get my back to the wall and MSC medical would never have helped in that situation, only critical and outside the box thinking did which gave me a headache). In stations where I had to interact with other interviewees (who I felt were not very well prepared), the formulaic nature was superior, this would have been different had I met some really well prepared and articulate candidates during interaction (guess the dice rolled in my favour).

In short, if you like preparation, go for it. The book is expensive but its worth it if you do well in your interviews and get in. Does it provide the magic formula? No, you just got to figure out your A game and bring it, the book just helps you organize part of your game.

Archived