Premed 101 Forums

OT as a backup plan if not accepted to PT?

As an OT applicant myself it is frustrating to know that people will be applying to OT as a "back up". It takes spots away from people who are truly passionate about the program. It also seems like a waste of your time to invest two years of time, effort and money into a program you're not interested in. That being said, if you truly have an interest in OT then why not!? I would suggest doing some research because OT does differ substantially from PT.

As an OT applicant myself it is frustrating to know that people will be applying to OT as a "back up". It takes spots away from people who are truly passionate about the program. It also seems like a waste of your time to invest two years of time, effort and money into a program you're not interested in. That being said, if you truly have an interest in OT then why not!? I would suggest doing some research because OT does differ substantially from PT.

I see what you're saying, but the same can be applied to preMeds who apply to PT as backups lol

Guest Physioprospect

if your interested in the scope of PT... DO NOT apply to OT, they are very, very different fields (with some overlap).

Guest Physioprospect

Ya I mean do it if you think you would actually like OT, but if you think it will be like PT you are definitely wrong.

Guest Physioprospect

PTs are concerned with diagnosing and treating disorders of the musculoskeletal, neuro and cardio vascular system. They have in depth knowledge of every joint and muscle in the body, how its innervated, blood supply etc. They will work hands on to make your body better by doing manual therapy, dry needling etc.

OT are more concerned with the whole picture. They will likely get a persons diagnosis from another health care provider and they are responsible for trying to adapt that persons life to their disability. They will ensure the house is set up properly, if someones had an hand amputation they will make sure they have proper tools around the house/vehicle so that life can go on. They do not do hands on treatment of the disorder like a PT would. Some OTs choose to specialize in hands where they will do hands on rehab/make splints etc. OT are also very involved with eating and ensuring the patient can swallow.

Both are very rewarding careers albiet underpaid and under funded.

It's a very bad idea. Their roles are completely different and if you really want PT, ending up in OT will not make you happy.

Try something like an athletic therapist or kinesiologist or kinesiology therapy (I believe something like that exists). They are very related to PT and will give you more satisfaction.

Archived