Premed 101 Forums

Strengths/Weaknesses of McMaster

fine by me.

edit: the fact that you think i'm attacking you on a personal level is tantamount to delusion. is this how discourse works for you? it's absolutely problematic that your response to someone with an opinion that's polarized in relativity to your worldview is with vitriol and an ad hominem attack.

You know absolutely nothing about me, who I am and what I do, and yet you feel comfortable posting blanket statements about my character and my attitudes toward people. This thread has completely disintegrated and I will not continue to defend my statements against someone so hell-bent on twisting my words, attacking me on a personal level and dismissing my experiences.

Expressed far better than myself. Absolutely agreed and thank you for sharing.

and you won't be hard-pressed to find those who share your opinion about safety.

Its not like we need to fear for our lives and carry weapons on ourselves for self defense or anything- just play it smart and safe. Ie don't ever pull out your phone to give a stranger the time late at night. Walk in groups or cab it. Try not park on a street downtown overnight Etc etc

I love Mac, but Hamilton is nothing to brag about.

edit - that said, you shouldn't let stuff like that scare you off from Mac. Every city has sketchy areas. But I just can't deal with people acting like Hamilton is dandy/nbd. There are good areas, but don't gloss over how terrible it can be.

and I just can't deal with people that think and write with the subtext that they're superior to 500,000 individuals and the city they call home.

edit: the fact that you think i'm attacking you on a personal level is tantamount to delusion. is this how discourse works for you? it's absolutely problematic that your response to someone with an opinion that's polarized in relativity to your worldview is with vitriol and an ad hominem attack.

I'll let those two statements speak for themselves...

Anyway, to get a little bit back on topic - while Hamilton has some incredibly nice areas, I have found that certain areas that have a more dangerous feel than what you'll find in other major cities in the area. Toronto, London, Kitchener all have their areas where you probably don't want to live, but I have never felt fundamentally unsafe in those regions, nor have I heard from too many people who felt that way.

I have heard stories like those from tenesseewrites, and even as a man, felt uncomfortable in some areas. That said, I don't think this should discourage anyone from going to McMaster, and Hamilton's reputation is in many ways undeserved.

there aren't designated "safe zones" in the city. by using this language, you're only further reinforcing the notion of hegemony towards those who have been marginalized in this city.

also, the claims you're making about the effects of victimization in your interactions is problematic given that you're making blanket statements about the intentions of Hamiltonians and the subtextual issues surrounding the perceived intentions of those individuals.

the reason why Hamilton may seem unsafe is because of the structural violence that has been inflicted upon the city and its residents over the past several decades.

there are institutional problems with this city. by perpetually complaining and propagating the notion that the issues with Hamilton are nigh-innate you're not helping in the slightest.

edit: I do find it reprehensible that you felt unsafe in this city. Nevertheless, I find exception to the continued notion in your statements that downtown Hamilton is disproportionately more unsafe than other urban/gentrified areas in this country.

edit: http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2012/07/24/hamilton-crime-statistics.html this may dispel some rumours about Hamilton compared to other cities in Canada.

You "do find it reprehensible" that she feels unsafe in certain areas of the city? Really? What would inspire you to judge someone on how or why they feel a certain way?

Clearly you feel that eloquent prose somehow gives validity to a rather indignant point of view.

"the reason why Hamilton may seem unsafe is because of the structural violence that has been inflicted upon the city and its residents over the past several decades." . This statement equates to, boohoo, those who look down on us have beaten us down. It's all their fault so you better not talk about our horrible behavior. Ignore it and talk about only the good things. Boohoo.

Good grief. Open your eyes. Tennesseewrites gave a very realistic review of the city based on her actual experience. She was not hysterical or extreme but rather, offered an honest appraisal from someone who chooses to live there despite her apprehensions. I for one appreciate that.

Clearly you feel that eloquent prose somehow gives validity to a rather indignant point of view.

It's a lot better than the usual crap that appears on this website. If I got a nickel for every time I read a poorly written opinion on this website, I would have too much money to justify going to medical school.

"the reason why Hamilton may seem unsafe is because of the structural violence that has been inflicted upon the city and its residents over the past several decades." . This statement equates to, boohoo, those who look down on us have beaten us down. It's all their fault so you better not talk about our horrible behavior. Ignore it and talk about only the good things. Boohoo.

I encourage you to apply peterparkours and your argument to other groups in this country - anyone with a good understanding of inequalities in Canada will easily see examples of this - and you can see why your response is very short-sighted.

Good grief. Open your eyes. Tennesseewrites gave a very realistic review of the city based on her actual experience. She was not hysterical or extreme but rather, offered an honest appraisal from someone who chooses to live there despite her apprehensions. I for one appreciate that.

I hardly think Tennesseewrites writes a realistic review of this city. Tennessseewrites also took the liberty of adding a personal attack at the end of her initial message. I for one don't appreciate that.

Yes, there are certain areas of the city I wouldn't necessarily feel safe in late at night. I just don't go there

No, I have never felt unsafe at any time, but I do take certain precautions

Many of our class lives quite safely in downtown.

I live downtown, and I wouldn't change that at all! As long as you choose your building/apartment wisely, this should not be an issue, and I don't think that this is a Hamilton only issue.

People seem to think there are lots of homeless guys in Hamilton, and that homeless guys are scary, etc, but really, I've only ever found that people in hamilton, while they may not look like the people you may be accustomed to, are nothing but kind and helpful.

I have only made one lifestyle change since moving to Hamilton, and that is I no longer run at 11:00 at night by myself. That's it.

If you are really worried about living in Hamilton, choose a regional campus, Niagara and Waterloo are lovely.

If you really think you will miss all that toronto has to offer, the GO bus leaves every half hour, and takes an hour to get there.

Seriously, don't let the city and whatever reputation it has deter you!

W_robin, I see absolutely zero personal attacks from tennessee; the same cannot be said for parkour. Oh wait, are you referring to her actual experience of having a creep come to her door in the night to scam her out of money? And you think she has no right to remark about it? And you call her talking about it a personal attack? So what, the guy at the door is only there because of persecution in some facet of his life? Now that's funny.

As for the rest? Personal accountability and a realistic view is a beautiful thing. Sorely lacking at times.

Yes

If you are really worried about living in Hamilton, choose a regional campus, Niagara and Waterloo are lovely.

If you really think you will miss all that toronto has to offer, the GO bus leaves every half hour, and takes an hour to get there.

Seriously, don't let the city and whatever reputation it has deter you!

I agree with everything that benge88 has said - she is quite intelligent so I would listen to what she says ;).

The only thing I disagree with is her last point - if the city's reputation bothers you do much - let that deter you. Don't come to Hamiton if you're going to be unhappy or feel unsafe. It's important to take pride in where you live.

Speaking as someone who's only done electives at HHS, I can say that the city offers nice areas to live most definitely, but some areas - especially around the General and Juravinski - are extremely sketchy. Not knowing what I was in for, I stayed on MacNab N while doing an elective at the General. I never felt unsafe exactly, but the neighbourhood was extremely sketchy. On my way to the hospital in the morning I'd pass a few sketchy coffee shops, a strip club, a cheap grocery store, and a prison. As a place to work I thought Hamilton/Mac was great, but living there is another matter.

I do think that commenting on the obvious social inequality is worthwhile (I once went to a journal club at an opulent house in Ancaster), but suggesting that someone is "reprehensible" for feeling unsafe is ridiculous. Should someone moving to Vancouver be criticized for not wanting to live in the Downtown Eastside too?

to clarify, I was saying that the experience of that individual feeling unsafe is reprehensible and should not be experienced by anyone anywhere they reside.

but suggesting that someone is "reprehensible" for feeling unsafe is ridiculous. Should someone moving to Vancouver be criticized for not wanting to live in the Downtown Eastside too?

Thanks holiday! I'm interested in your opinion on a few other things.

Do you feel you are adequately prepared for clerkship after only one year?

Yes, I think the summer period of block electives will prepare me for clerkship. Also, our one year is very hands-on, unlike most other schools, by putting us in the clinical setting from the first month, having weekly sessions learning clinical skills and examinations, practicing on patients, the opportunity to schedule electives throughout the year, etc.

Since you do not have summers, how difficult is it to schedule research or observerships during the year? Do you wish you had summers off? How well do you get to know your mentors?

Because we don't have class everyday from 8am to 6pm (I hear some schools do have something of the sort), we actually have a LOT of time to do what we think is best for our learning, which could be scheduling research, horizontal electives (not observerships - at McMaster we have insurance, etc. so we are actually able to do more than just observe), studying, visit the anatomy lab... 'self-care'. I'm okay without having the summer off because there are a few ~4day coincidental breaks through the year (including 2 weeks in summer), and the summer isn't spent in class: we have a 2 month block of working in a healthcare setting, anywhere in the world - if you had a summer off, what would you do with it? In the past you likely would have got a job, took summer classes, or volunteered. So it's not that different.

I have heard rumours of McMaster's mediocre CaRMS stats, but even if true, it may just be because the students apply for competitive specialties. Do you have any concerns about this aspect of your next year? Have you ever had moments in clinic where you doubt yourself, or think you are not adequately prepared to be there?

I think last year's CaRMS stats were an anomaly, and McMaster has historically done quite well. The reason for last year was that there were quite a few people who had very limiting choices - kind of like only applying to one medical school in Canada and getting rejected.

How do you feel about PBL compared to traditional didactic learning like during undergrad?

I love it. Traditional didactic learning doesn't work well with me - I can do well on an exam, and forget everything I learned the next day. With PBL, the approach is more interesting for learning, and it sticks with you because you remember the case you looked at and what happened with the patient, and why, the knowledge you gained from your peers and from sharing with your peers, etc. Because PBL is self-directed learning, you learn to identify your weaknesses and can address them accordingly.

Answered questions in navy colour.

is there really no exams?

there should at least be some scheme to watch your progress no?

I believe the previous poster said: no exams *to stress about*. We definitely have 'exams' to monitor our progress. There is the Concept Application Exercises that happen throughout our learning, 5 short answer questions (often clinical problem-solving) graded by our tutor, doesn't show up on any transcript. It's just for feedback.

OSCEs which is like the MMI but testing our physical examination and history taking skills. I think these go on our transcript - can't remember.

PPIs are like typical multiple choice exams. You get a mark but it only matters if you're in the green zone, yellow zone, or red zone. If you're in red zone twice in a row you have to meet with the administration to discuss how you can improve or something.

PIE (can't remember what it stands for) are short answer tests for professional competencies. Like ethics, social determinants, clinical epidemiology, etc.

At the end of a medical foundation, your tutorial group leader writes a little blurb about you to go on your transcript, so in a way your 'progress' is also monitored in tutorial (still not a big deal). Our tutorials are every 3 days so there is a bit of pressure to prepared (I think most of your studying time at Mac is to prepare for these).

You're technically not supposed to study for any of these. In truth, most people do review for the CAE, I don't think anybody (maybe a minority) study for the PPI, and everyone studies for the OSCE. I haven't had one yet. But it's kind of important. Our groups even go nuts for the mock OSCE, so..

lawl if i were at mcmaster... i feel like i would party every day..

Good luck ;)

Answers in navy again.

If you had gotten into U of T and Mac, would you have considered choosing U of T?

Yes. I'm from Toronto, and at the time, I felt it would be better to stay at home with my family and go to school. I was also more familiar with the hospitals and doctors so I thought it would be cool to work with them as a medical student. From an education standpoint though, I found UofT's style to be too traditional, stubborn, stale, whereas McMaster quickly adapts to what seems to be working best. If both schools were located in Toronto (thus isolating the factor about staying at home, familiarity, etc.) I would have picked McMaster in a heartbeat.

Tell me more about Hamilton! I've only really ever been around campus. Have you had any friends with awful experiences?

I love Hamilton. There are a lot of diverse pockets here so if you come, you will find something that suits your character/taste/preferences. There's a lot of nature, a lot of city, a lot of 'country', and also a lot of suburbia - none of it more than 30 minutes away from campus. Personally, since I rely on the bus to get around, I am really happy that where I am, everything I need is walking distance (library, grocery store, pharmacy, street full of shops/bakeries/restaurants, friends)- an experience I've never had before. I don't know anyone with an 'awful' experience...anywhere in Canada, other than isolated incidents that can (and have) happen everywhere.

Thanks Holiday!

Again..answers in Navy. boy, am I bored tonight.

and I just can't deal with people that think and write with the subtext that they're superior to 500,000 individuals and the city they call home.

I know I shouldn't be derailing this thread any further but I just have to say, this is a personal attack.

You just had a whole spiel about how you weren't personally attacking when you obviously did. I just wanted you to take a step back and realize that you're not entirely in the right here.

Personally, I understand how you may offended by comments your home but opinions will always differ. Let it go. You'll be taking the high road.

fine by me.

mcmaster is def a quick root to lots of money

get in after 3 years (or if you do IB, after 2-years of ugrad), 3 yrs med + 2 yrs family

= 7-8yr ~25-26 y.o., and you're a doctor earning $250-300k gross

and still got lots of time to do all the fun stuff in ur 20s

wow family docs really net quarter million? I thought it would be ~100k after all the overheads.

Ummm....

so the previous poster specifically said gross 200k - 300k. That should answer your question.

Moo has said many times on this board that you can easily gross 450K as an FP. In fact, I think moo was able to gross that much working part-time and in addition to his residents salary. In reality, you can NET 250K.

Archived