Premed 101 Forums

Starting up after Graduation

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes for a new dentistry grad to start working after they graduate. I know that you have to write the dental board exam before you can start practicing and that it takes several weeks before the results come back.

I'm just wondering how much time I will have to pay off my LOC before it gets converted to a loan - different banks give you different amounts of time after you graduate before you have to start paying off your loan. I'm thinking that it might be better for me to take an LOC with a higher repayment rate (prime + 1%) that gives me 12 months after I graduate rather than an LOC with a lower repayment interest rate (prime) but with only 6 months after I graduate to pay it off before it's converted to a loan. I worked it out and if you can pay off more of the amount you've borrowed before you have to start paying it back you can end up paying about the same amount of interest and taking less time to pay off the loan. Anyone else been thinking about this?

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Do you mind giving me the name of the person that you dealt with? I'm assuming it's a branch near McGill or somewhere in Montreal?

Thanks!

Guest SharkCatcher

hey there

i cant find her card. what i can tell u is that this info is actually published in brochures. just go to rbc, and the brochure's title is : RBC medical and dental student plan.

once if find it tho, i will send u her name.

Guest sweetyork

A dental student gives the licensing exam during his forth year, so most start working right after they get their degree (I just completed my first year, and I think a forth year student told me that they can even start working before the official graduation ceremony, though I am doubtful about the accuracy of my recollection). For most loan, you need not make payment if you are specializing, doing your residence or are in grad school. That`s all I know.

Archived