Premed 101 Forums

should I apply?

Guest anniezzang

Guest anniezzang

I am thinking of applying Dentistry this year (just thinking). However, my first two years marks are not that great. In fact, it's very low 3.0ish. However, I have 3.68 this year (It will probably go up to 3.71 or 3.74 since they are reviewing my final exams). I understand it's not that high but I believe I can bring up my GAP more next year.

I'm really concerned about my marks. Also I think it's pretty low even to apply. Should I apply? :o

One more question: would a research course help me? what if I don't take it?

Guest Saint Seiya

Which year are you right now?

A research course doesn't increase or decrease your chance, but will it give you a good mark without much effort? Usually it does, I think. Graduate studies are often easier than undergrad......but it depends on which professor you work with................... Some profs are mean.

What's your school?

Guest anniezzang

I just finished my third year and going into 4th year this following September at U of T.

I have some friends who took some research courses and didn't do well. Actually they brought down their GPA due to Research. I guess the profs were not very supportive or mean.

I thought a research course was going to help me on my resume. Since you said there's no relevance, I would probably not take a research course.

Thank you for your reply.

Guest apical meristems

Hey there.

You still have a ton to hope for. Make sure to do well on your DAT and strive for a top notch GPA in the coming term. If you can do that, you'll have a great chance at Western.

Just get in the mood and the rest will follow. If you think you can do it, then you CAN do it. Stay focussed and you'll be in before you even know it.

apical meristems :)

Guest Saint Seiya

Research experience does benefit your resume, but for different purposes; eg, apply for grad school or find a job in a biotech company in case you fail to get into dentistry after undergrad.

As for dentistry, I don't think research matters. There are so many people with research experience already. How about doing something unique that you like? That may make you stand out of other people. You don't need research to prove that you have good manual/communication/analytical skills.

Archived