Premed 101 Forums

Practicing in the US

Guest All Good Names are Used

Guest All Good Names are Used

I would give my left nut to go to an American University for Dental School but like some(the true capitalists out there) when deciding between Canada/United States for me it comes down to a money issue. The only reason to look south would be if Canadian schools decide they don't want you!|I

That being said I was wondering if anyone has looked seriously into practicing in the US after finishing school in Canada and how difficult it is to get established and what are some of the benefits/draw backs???? (Other than the blatantly obvious ones)

Thanks All,

AGNAU

Guest Dentist

I don't think it is too hard to establish a businees in US as a Canadian. From what I've heard from my parents, all you gotta do is to go to the place where you would like to practice and PRACTICE.

I am definitely going to the states after dental school.

In terms of patient population, don't they have more people? (there must be more dentists, whom you should compete with, but still the patient pool must be GREATER than that of Canada)

Guest LestatZinnie

i suggest you guys visit dentaltown.com and ask dentists there about establishing in US

From my understanding, yes the population in the US is so much greater, but so are their graduates. The number of people per class in many states are in the hundreds. Just another day a dentaltown dentist says how California really doesnt need anymore dentists. CA has a HUGE population, but also more than 400 new dentists graduating from in state alone.

Another problem with the US is that despite the big population, a big portion of them can not afford dentistry. Heck, a lot of them can hardly afford medicine, so something elective (in a non-life threatening sense) like dentistry is even less considered.

However, I do think that if you have the smarts and luck, you'll have potential to make more $$ in the states than in canada

Archived