Premed 101 Forums

Applying to US schools is just around the corner...

Guest coilz

Guest coilz

The date for applying to US dental school is just around the corner ... right? Anyone got suggestions, and know-how into good schools, how/where to apply etc etc? This would be great if someone can post some info. :rollin

Guest epzi

I don't know anything about the U.S. process, try student doctor network forums (type it into google), you will find alot of info on the american process as they focus on U.S. schools at that forum.

(sorry, I should add that most of the canadian students I know that went to the states had the best luck at temple, tufts, and the University of the Pacific, all of which are extremely expensive schools by canadian tuition standards)

Guest TheDDSDude

Hey I can be of some assistance here.

I'm not exactly what you mean by good schools however but I'll assume you mean UConn, Columbia, Harvard, Upenn, etc. But my advice to is apply early so that you can get accepted by Dec 1st. When I applied I applied late, around November so my interviews weren't until February, I got accepted to Columbia around March which is still earlier than Canadian schools but since there are rolling admissions to ensure yourself the best chance you want to apply early. Schools start interviewing in September and try to fill their spots by Dec 1 (first allowed date to notify acceptance). Then after they will continue to interview until the spots are filled. If you are gonna apply for matriculation (acceptance) the following school year, go to the AADSAS website as soon as possible. I believe you can apply as early as June 2004.

California State schools are excellent as with Texas, however, Texas STATE SCHOOLS don't accept too many out of state let alone out of country students. California private schools like University of Pacific and USC are private but very $$$ those accept all students. Calif state schools (UCLA and UCSF) are harder to get into because they don't accept the Canadian DAT and you will have to take the American one.

Most schools in the US will accept the Canadian DAT, just make sure to check with the specific rule.

Private schools cost a lot more but they are more favourable to Canadian students because they don't have a quota on how many in state applicants to take. State schools like UNC, University of Minnesota, etc. favour their in state applicants so you should check with the school to see which is a state school (cheaper but harder to get in based on residency alone) or private. The more famous institutions, like Harvard, Columbia, UPenn (Ivy leagues) are private but very costly. Boston University, New York University, Tufts, are all private but you have a very good chance of getting in. In fact many private schools favour canadians.

HOnestly if you can get into a Canadian school stay home unless you hate Canada because you can still practice in the US after and you save a ton of money. But the insurance is always good so apply early.

The US schools to my knowledge, most of them take OAC english to meet a pre-req, check with the school. You will need a full year of Bio, Chem, physics, for all, and check if you need organic chem. Most will also require organic chem full year.

Tufts, U of P, Boston, and NYU are the more expensive ones.

Oh and make sure you have good references and write a really good essay. That application essay is very important!

Best of luck to you.

Archived