Premed 101 Forums

IMS Summer Research Program

Schen

Hi, I am new to research. I was just wondering if anybody in this forum has ever participated in the Institute of Medical Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program at UfT. Any comments about your experiences would be great!

As well, can anyone provide any general comments/experiences about clinical research. What was the typical work day for you when you had (clinical) research?

thanks

I did the IMS SURP last summer and hopefully I'll be doing it again this summer!

I had a really good experience, but I feel that your experience will really be dependent on the lab that you are in. I think regardless of the lab, you will learn a lot and have a great experience on paper. However to enjoy it, you need to be in lab that does the type of research you like in an area that you care about.

I really liked that there is a poster day at the end of the summer. By doing the IMS program, you are ensured that you will be submitting an abstract and making a poster. I think this is actually huge because it means that in your summer you will have your own project and have real responsibility.

I did clinical research in my lab. I would say that there wasnt a typical day, but there was a typical week. I would have maybe two appointments with participants, help others run their experiments with participant for their studies, data analysis, computer programming, refining methodology, reading papers, spending time in clinics with the doctors, lab meetings.

I love clinical research because I think that working with a patient population is great! I definitely enjoyed it more than my basic research position. However, at the heart of it, clinical and basic research are still very similar. Your research protocol is different, but it's still research!

A summer studentship can often pave the way to future projects or graduate degrees in that lab. Some supervisors can be tough to work with, so it behooves you to ask the grad students what working in that lab is like, and if they recommend it. Put a little bit of work into finding a good lab now, and you may end up with good projects, publications, etc. Choose poorly, and you'll get a miserable summer, with minimal support from the supervisor, etc.

Archived