Premed 101 Forums

dental :S

Guest moz donor

Guest moz donor

OMG i just spent half an hour writing a post and LOST IT ALL because something was wrong with my username! now i have to start over... >:

HELLO ALL.

I am a York U student. my first year just ended and i am attending summer school right now. Now Im gona first say that I know this is a forum for medicne, but I thought you guys would be the best people to answer my questions.

I want to apply for dental school at UT and I am having trouble understanding the grading system conversion for the applications. At york u, the number grades are never kept and only letter grades are kept in the system (I asked, trust me!;):D ) What is weird about this, is how they are devided into letters! 90-100 = A+ and 80-89= A thats right!, there is no A- and if you get 89, thats as good as getting an 80 :(

I saw the OMSAS conversion table once, dont ask me where coz i cant find it again no matter where i look... and it said that A+ = 4 and A = 3.8

this makes sense to me! its the average (not rally an average but some where between 3.7 and 4 :) )!

But then I thought, that they may not be the same!!!, the dental and medice grading systems.... so I emailed UT dental admissions... and they sent me this:

www.utoronto.ca/dentistry...art_03.pdf

But there is not column for yorku grading system in this one :\

so I email them back saying what ive said here and they say:

"The scale is still valid for York U and will not change. The only differnce is an A+ = 4.0 and an A = 3.7."

What i think? I think the person answering the emails is too ignorant to go and ask the correct answer from someone who is resposible instead of .... guessing ???

Because if this is true, then it'd be so very unfair! most of my marks are 85-89!!

someone please help!!!! I need to know this for sure because if this is how I will be graded, then Ill transfer to UT for 2nd year uni so that ill get marks that i actually derserve! Id have no chance of accaptence with my current marks!

if u wana know my marks:

1 FULL YEAR A+

3 FULL YEAR A

2 HALF YEAR A

and another thing.... right now in summer skol... does it matter what i get or do i just have to pass?

thank you for your time.. :) appericiated!

Guest toothy jr

um, a 3.8 gpa does not mean you "have no chance of accaptence"(sic). You will need to do poorly on MCAT/DAT and interview as well. Don't be worried, in my experience doing poorly is much easier (and more fun) than doing well.

Guest moz donor

hi, thanks for the reply, but i wont be worried if I get 3.8, Ill be woried if i get 3.7

based on the OMSAS conversion system Ill get 3.84 but based on what the "email" says Ill get 3.76 and thats what im worried about!! and if i was at UT with these marks... then Id prolly get close to 4

Guest TabeshDDS

calm down my york friend....i just graduated from York, my GPA was 3.77 and I got into UofT Dentistry!! an A at York is worth 4.0, so there is a bit of an advantage there for us since we don't have A-. just keep getting A's and you'll be okay...but i tell you this..your interview is the most important thing you have. everyone's gpa's are around the same range 3.7-4.0, so when they do the calculations there's is not much of a difference.

keep getting good marks, develop yourself socially and study hard for the DAT...it's alot easier than you think!

good luck

Guest rez32

Hi Moz Donor:

I just finished my first year at York U as well, and I'm doing summer school too! :) Are you taking organic chemistry?

Oh, and I forgot to add that at U of T, the last time I checked with them, they told me that summer marks do count towards their calculation of your GPA (Sept.-Aug.)

Guest moz donor

Hey! no, Im taking physics 1410... I was planning to take organic chem though but then I saw that physics 1410 was one of the requirements at UW...

How did you find the first year? and whats your major by the way?

Guest moz donor

Hi TheDDSDude,

I know about UT, but

at UT A- = 80-84 85-89 =A and 90+ = A+

at York 80-89 =A and 90+ = A+ .... A- Does not exist!

Thats why.... basically they are saying a person who gets 100 is just as good as person getting an 80 that wouldnt be too fair to some people! But then if soo lil people end up getting a 80+ grade AND applying for dentistry, then who cares really!

hmmm i found this forum out of no where when i searched for OMSAS in google.... im finding it interesting already... i think itll be one of my favourits! :D

Guest rez32

Hi moz donor,

I'm majoring in Biology. First year was better than I had expected - I found the professors to be surprisingly approachable and other students generally nice and laid-back. The workload was manageable, although more than what I was used to from OAC, but hey, it's university, right? Grades could've been higher, (stupid BIOL1010, don't know if you took that but grrrr...) much the same as your marks in fact, but I think we have a good shot at dentistry with our marks so it's all good. Go York, yayy! What's your major? I wonder if we actually know each other...

Guest moz donor

well maybe! lol,,, im majoring in biology too! and i did take bio 1010 and i found donaldson a good teacher (maybe a lil gay, but his tests were actually doable ironic to the other two prophs! lol) My name is Nima.. I dont think you'd know though lol

Guest rez32

Hi Nima,

I found all 3 profs for BIOL1010 to be alright, although I really appreciated how Noel went out of her way to make sure we understood her material by presenting the important points in her tutorials instead of just standing up there and waiting for our questions. My name's Irene - did you have Min Du as your TA for BIOL1010 labs?

Guest moz donor

Yeah I did! were you in my lab?... Yeah true about the tutorials! but then I never went to any of them lol so it doesnt really matter and at the lectures, im not one of those who pays attention a lot :o lol, i talk more than I listen during classes :b

Guest rez32

Yeah, I guess not. That's alright, if I ever bump into you in second year, I'll be sure to say hi. :) Good luck with everything!

Archived