Premed 101 Forums

PhD applying to US medical school

I can't imagine any school not looking favourably on an advanced degree. However, I would think a certain degree of productiveness and success is expected of a PhD over MSc/MA, and that may be a limiting factor.

In addition, certainly some institutions are more research-focused, and your degrees would certainly be more desirable.

I can't imagine any school not looking favourably on an advanced degree. However, I would think a certain degree of productiveness and success is expected of a PhD over MSc/MA, and that may be a limiting factor.

In addition, certainly some institutions are more research-focused, and your degrees would certainly be more desirable.

I disagree - I think some schools, just like UBC for example, have a mandate to get primary care physicians trained and would rather not bother with PhDs. Particularly, you run the risk of being asked in an interview "Well, you're clearly excelling as a researcher.. why bother now with medicine?!" - which is a bit of a catch22, because obviously you don't want them to go "oh, phd didnt go so well so now trying your hand at medicine."

point being -- i think you need a SOLID reason for why medicine, and preferably demonstrated a sincere interest (e.g. recent clinical experiences).. otherwise you could run into either problem. second, as the previous poster said.. try for schools with a research focus. unfortunately these are usually top tiers and very difficult to get into regardless of background.

Archived