Premed 101 Forums

DAT prep books

Guest sfmn

Guest sfmn

i was wondering what are the best books out there to study for the DAT..i know there are a lot of useless books out there so im lookin for the best ones

thanks

Guest pearlywhitesBC

The Kaplan DAT book is probably your best bet if you only want to buy one book. I used it and found it quite useful.

Unfortunately, the DAT science section seems to cover ALOT of stuff (particularly the biology secion) and there aren't any exact guidelines to tell you what might be on the test. I took the DAT last November and there were a couple of questions that were on the test that I hadn't studied. They weren't in the Kaplan book and unfortunately I hadn't encountered the material in any of my undergrad courses. But some people were able to answer the questions based on what they had learned in their undergrad. In that way, it seems like you kind of just have to count a bit on luck and see if you are able to answer the one or two more obscure questions that they will ask on the test. Overall, though, missing a question or two isn't going to make or break you so you can just focus on learning/reviewing as much material as you can!

I also bought the Barron's dat book and found it useful for the PAT section. However, the Bio component was FULL of mistakes so I wouldn't even look at that part.

Another tool that I found quite useful was the TopScore Pro software. It is basically a bunch of timed practice tests - I found it really useful in simulating a real, timed test situation and gave me a better idea of what q's to expect (the examples in the CDA book are way too easy!). I think I bought my software from amazon but you can also purchase it direct from the company - check out the website www.scholarware.com/products-cdat.htm

Make sure you get the canadian version!!

Hope that helps! :D

Guest Pearly Whites

Hi! I used the Kaplan book too. It was good for providing an outline, but some of the parts arent detailed enough. If you have time and want to make sure you do well, considering supplementing those topics with other books like the Schaumms outline books, or Biology made easy (by Barrons) or something like that. I found those books at my public library (Vancouver). I wrote the November 2003 DAT and there were a few questions that I only knew the answer to because I took an anatomy course and biology 200 (cell bio). I also used the Barrons book as well as the IQ Publications. Another thing I did to study for the bio and chem sections was to look for books in the public library with sample questions, not necessarily for the DAT but just general bio and chem exams. I think i borrowed the Reagents books. It was just a whole bunch of MC questions and it was helpful for me. Good luck!

Hey, I also found the Kaplan book and course extremely helpful for the science sections. In addition I highly recommend taking an anatomy, physiology and cell bio course as well. There were at least 4 questions in the bio section that I would have never been able to answer had it not been for an anatomy course I took. Thats the difference between an ~ 17/18 and a 20.

Guest TheDDSDude

Buddy,

The Kaplan book is King for Science and Reading prep..Barrons is better than the Kaplan for PAT though there are some errors in the Barron's book, be careful. Barrons has good science to supplement the Kaplan book.

I also used another book for the PAT. Forgot the name, I gave it away. But it's a good book $35 or so at U of T I believe.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Hey DDS dude...

I thought you didn't study! Or did you take your Kaplan book to the pub?

LOL just joking around. ;)

Guest Guyver03

Hiya, for me, I used Baron for PAT, but the best PAT is from IQ publishing. You can find it easily in UBC bookstore. As for other sections, I borrow a Kaplan's MCAT book from the public library, since it has much more info than DAT book. To help me concentrate in the DAT section, I flipped through Kaplan's DAT book and wrote down the subjects the book go through, then I concentrated on those subjects on the MCAT book. It worked pretty well for me as I got a decent mark. As for carving, you'll have to get yourself a tutor to help boast your confidence.

Guest TheDDSDude

IQ publishing!! that's the other book I'm referring to for the PAT. It's like white and red. It's like a practice PAT pretty much.

My girl also gave me a bio book from prep seminars. Oh man this book was like a textbook. IT was HUGE! Too bad I got it like two days before the DAT.... Had I studied from that for a bit, I would have gotten perfect on the bio. No doubt if you can study from that book and memorize every detail you will get perfect on bio too!

pearlywhitesbc, i had to study for this one. IT's too important. I wouldn't be caught dead bringing that kinda stuff to the good ol' pub. That kinda thing gets you kicked out. I'd hit on the waitress before I bring the book. I don't believe in hitting on those who serve you, they are just here to make a living and get harassed by creeps constantly, don't wanna add to the problem. Besides, wing grease and beer smell on your book is gross.

But if you don't have anything else, make sure you get the Kaplan. If you memorize everything from that book, you will get at least 18-19 on Bio depending on how lucky you are.

Make sure you do well on chem it is in my opinion the easiest section. The PAT might be easier for some people, that is practice and natural spatial movement ability, just make sure you get enough sleep!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough.

Carving, I didn't even bother because the only Canadian school I applied to was U of T. I didn't even take it seriously. 90% of US schools don't care. That's why I got a @#%$ mark in soap carving.

Archived