Premed 101 Forums

Canadians are smarter than Americans

Guest TheDDSDude

Guest TheDDSDude

This is so true, you don't understand!!!!!

OMG Americans in general are ignorant and stupid as compared to a Canadian.

Canadians have better chances of getting into American dental schools than most Americans.

Guest 15Sacha

Why are you making such an ignorant generalization? If you are Canadian then your comment doesn't help you make your point about Canadians being smarter.

Guest apical meristems

You're probably thinking of George Bush. Don't let the actions of one man influence your opinion of an entire nation and its people.

apical

Guest toothy jr

I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement like "Canadians are smarter than Americans" and not expect ridicule. It does not matter that you qualified your statement in the body of the post, because the title invites us to take it out of context.

As for the claim that Canadians do well in applying to US schools, there are numerous possibilities:

a) easier to get high gpa here

B) dentistry less competitive there (fewer people interested in it, smart ones get into other stuff)

c) socioeconomic reasons (worse school system, bigger wealth disparity)

I have no idea about "a" as I have not studied in the states. "b" is possible but I have no clue where the 3.8gpa people are going instead. "c" is easy because we love to bash right-wing politics.

Guest TheDDSDude

aww man you guys are no fun!

Hey I'm American kinda, and I'm even dissing them. I'm serious, there are a lot more dumb American ppl in university than Canadian ppl. I am surprised at some of them.

For example, one student writes on another forum "I have a 2.91 GPA, if I do well on the DATS what are my chances for dental school"

Surprisingly enough they actually have a chance if they do well on the DAT. IN Canada, you won't have a chance.

A lot of Canadians go to the US coz they can't make it into Canadian schools and they go to the good schools in the US as well.

The best example was this quote from a dental student I met while I was at UConn (Considered to be #1 dental school atm) for an interview who happens to be Canadian. "Back in Canada, I was a dumbass, no dental school would accept me, over here (USA) they think I'm a genius."

A) It is not easier to get a higher GPA here since our GPAs are so valued that they inflate our GPAs

B) There are 10 times more people there than here. Although there are 55 dental schools there and like 8 over here, there is still a lot more competition here because only like 20 dental schools or so you can actually apply to since most dental schools in the USA have preference for in state applicants.

C) Wealth disparity is true but there are a lot more rich people down there than up here. Americans have a higher purchasing power than Canadians.

Guest All Good Names are Used

Again I have applaud you on your ability to make this forum come to life!

I like Canadians and Americans but would much rather be payed in American dollars!:smokin

Guest bcdentalgirl

Why oh why does this subject keep coming up like some bad shrimp? On every forum in the universe, Canadian internet nerds can't resist pontificating on how much better "we" are than "them". It's an obsession I suppose. Sad.

Guest TheDDSDude

Hahaha thanks for calling me a Canadian nerd even though I'm American. All the good names are used I like AMerican Dollars as well.

Bcdentalgirl you are too sensitive, this was supposed to be a joke thread..but it backfired. They have a lot of things better than us to be honest. The US you don't get taxed as much. Hard working people can keep most of their money rather than seing it go towards feeding lazy people unlike Canada.

Ok no more controversy..I don't wanna offend anyone anymore. I'll just stick with talking about spongebob squarepants and his adventures with Patrick the Starfish!

Guest DrBadVibes

Hey DDSdude.....I know who you are, and I know you are just trying to cause @#%$, but Ill reply to your ignorant comment anyways.

First of all, your criteria for claiming that Canadians are smarter than Americans is stupid to say the least. They have 55 dental schools, we have 10....thats it. If we had 55, our stats would be lower as well. Look at all the Canadians who flock to the Caribbean to become doctors cause they cant cut it in Canada.....yet they run successful practices and most do well on their USMLE tests....are they stupid?

Also, you use the GPA as a measure of intelligence and I dont agree. First of all, we all know that a GPA varies from school to school. I went to UofT and I know that getting a high GPA from UofT is much much harder than getting a high GPA from say Lakehead. You went to MAC, so you understand what I mean. Also, many people with high GPAs take many bird courses allowing them good grades. Are these people smarter than people who took all the quantum mechanics courses, but have a lower GPA? Also, many people in university cheat. I know for a fact that at UofT, labs are passed around like you wouldnt believe, and that everything not test-related is copied and people get perfect marks on these sections......are they smarter?

Overall, using the GPA is not a good indicator of intelligence. Just look at one of your biggest fans, "All the Good Names are USed"...this guy probably has a high GPA, yet he still doesnt know how to spell "paid" and "confirmation".....go figure :smokin

Archived