Premed 101 Forums

How are interviews graded?

Guest yukontim

Guest yukontim

Does anyone know how the interviewers grade the questions? Is is based on the answer they would like to hear, or points they would like covered, or by how well spoken you are?

I think I should change my name to NervousNerd after my last interview. :(

Thanks for your help

Guest TheDDSDude

I don't think there is a specific method of grading the questions. However, all the factors you have mentioned such as points covered and the manner in which it is spoken determine your score. I think the key to getting a high score at least for dentistry, is giving an answer that is tailored to YOU.

Let me give you an analogy. Having an interview is like being a model. You want to wear a suit that is tailored to your body and makes you look good but still allows you to be yourself and show your expressiveness. A suit that fits you may not fit another person.

In otherwords, so long as the answer you provide is consistent with your personality, honest, and well thought and doesn't sound rehearsed, it should be ok whatever it is you say (with exception of course). Focus on the fundamentals, dont' be bogged down with memorizing specific facts and keep it natural and personalized. It makes it sound more real. The more honest you are, the more consistent you will sound because you aren't just asked one question. You are asked many questions. Through the manner by which you answer your questions, the interviewer can tell if you are lying. I think that is the trick. To be able to keep a common theme and it is always easier to be yourself than to fabricate a totally different self. If you can do this with confidence you can be sure you will score well.

Don't forget that the score is also relative to many interviewees, you are NOT the only interviewee the interviewer has had. Usually they assess your answer by comparing it with answers provided by others as well.

Just be yourself and stay confident. Don't lie. But to be honest, if you need to lie, you better be good at it. Chances are however, unless you are well trained in lying you can't trick them. Besides isn't it easier to tell the truth and also why would you want to lie to get into a career YOU want to pursue. I mean it is YOU who wants the career and the dental school wants to accept YOU. Obviously if you weren't suitable for the job they wouldn't choose YOU nor would YOU be happy if you had to lie to get in because chances are, dentistry might not be for YOU. Just be yourself. That is how you have to act normally. You can only play a fasade for so long.

Archived