Premed 101 Forums

Calculating AQ Score

I wanted to check to make sure I am calculating my AQ score correctly. Converting my GPA each year from the 4.0 scale to the 4.33 scale and then dropping my lowest year (I am eligible for aGPA) comes out to 4.13. Dividing 4.13 by 4.33 I get just over 95% - that seems pretty high? Could I assume this would give me 50/50 for AQ?

I wanted to check to make sure I am calculating my AQ score correctly. Converting my GPA each year from the 4.0 scale to the 4.33 scale and then dropping my lowest year (I am eligible for aGPA) comes out to 4.13. Dividing 4.13 by 4.33 I get just over 95% - that seems pretty high? Could I assume this would give me 50/50 for AQ?

With a 4.13 I am sure you are close to a 95% and 50/50. However, that is not the correct way to calculate your percentage at UBC. Find the grade conversion for your school, and convert each grade to the percentage that corresponds. For instance if your school awards A+ you can assign 95%, A you can assign 87% to that grade and so on. Add them all up and calculate the average. That will give you your GPA to percentage conversion at UBC. Simply dividing your GPA into 4.33 is not accurate and most likely overestimating your AQ slightly. Although with your GPA score I am sure it doesn't really matter. My guess is you are around 92-93% Provided you have done even minimal volunteering you will get an interview lol.

At least that was my understanding. Anyone else?

Thank you for replying! My school gives marks in percentages, not letter grades. I converted the percentage for each course to GPA using the UBC scale to get a UBC GPA for each year, and disregarded the lowest year.

I already interviewed this year, I just wanted to figure out where I stand.

Thank you for replying! My school gives marks in percentages, not letter grades. I converted the percentage for each course to GPA using the UBC scale to get a UBC GPA for each year, and disregarded the lowest year.

I think if your school uses percentages only, then you shouldn't have to convert at any point. The letter grades and GPA conversion is just for universities that give exclusively letter grades (eg. SFU [at least a few years ago]). Just drop the lowest year only, and if the result is something > 90% then there's a good chance you got a 50/50 on AQ based on information from rejected applicants. Congrats!

Because UBC uses percentage grades as well, you do not need to convert. You simply leave your grades as percentages.

The UBC Blog says:

OGPA = Overall GPA in UBC percentage

AGPA = Adjusted GPA in UBC percentage

Wouldn't this infer that your GPA is calculated and turned into a percentage?

Your grade in each class is converted to the UBC equivalent percentage. Converting from letter grades to UBC percentages is outlined on their website. If your grades are already given as percentages, then no conversion is necessary.

Your overall GPA is then calculated based on your percentage grades in each class, as you normally would for any GPA.

Archived